Monday, August 24, 2009


One of my favourite colours! First up is the completed Robin beret in RYC Cashsoft 4ply, shade Loganberry:

This only used 1.3 out of 2 full skeins, and I didn't add the contrast pompom. I knit this flat on straights as per the pattern, but it could easily be converted to a seamless pattern in the round. The RYC Cashsoft is beautifully soft, as per its name. A lovely beret for the winter and a great fit.

More purple, this time some yarn I hand-dyed for my swap partner in the current CT'n'Y Summer Secret Santa. It's a 100% merino laceweight, which I snagged as a bargainous cone.

I used Procion MX dyes bought as a kit. The first dye run gave some lovely shades, but there were paler patches that I wasn't happy with. The yarn was then overdyed with one shade of purple which gave a rich semi-solid. I'm very happy with the end result, as this was my first "proper" acid dye project and I wasn't expecting anything quite so good!

Not purple - this is my latest WIP, the Heather Hoodie Vest from the current Knitscene:

The yarn is Sirdar Denim Chunky in a cream/beige marl shade. It's the first time I've knit with it and I'm very pleased with how it knits up and handles.

My Basil sweater in Summer Tweed is complete, and waiting for me to finish seaming the sides! It's too hard to see under electric light, but I'm hoping to finish the sewing up tomorrow in daylight.

Finally, I had a lovely surprise last week, as Simply Knitting had reviewed my blog on theirs! This was most unexpected, my thanks to SK for their kind review!

Labels: , , , , ,

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Noro Striped Scarf & Shawl That Jazz

Pattern: Noro Striped Scarf by brooklyntweed
Yarn: Noro Kureyon shades 138, 159, 164 & unknown
Yardage: 4 skeins'-worth in total, 2 of 138, 1 of 159, part-skeins of 164 and unknown
Needles: 4.5mm

I've been wanting to make one of these manually-striped Noro scarves for a long time. I love how this turned out. I cast on 41 stitches for a 1x1 rib scarf approx. 7 inches wide.

Pattern: Shawl That Jazz by Samantha Roshak
Yarn: Mirasol Hacho shade Scarlet Pimpernel
Yardage: 8 skeins approx. 1096 yards
Needles: 5mm

Another cosy winter woolly! The shape of this is lovely, a gentle curve achieved by using short rows. I made the border around 3 inches deep, a little bigger than the size in the pattern. If I made this again I'd leave out the decrease row after picking up the border stitches, for a more ruffly effect.

My current projects include Basil from The Summer Tweed Collection, a sweater I've wanted to make for a while. This is the first time I've knit with Rowan's Summer Tweed, and I'm pleasantly surprised with how it handles. I was expecting something awkward but after the first row I find it great to knit with. The fabric is makes is rather nice too, a bit "scrunchy" but with a softness too. It will be interesting to see how it feels after washing. I'm also making the Robin beret from Amber: A Winter Gathering by Kim Hargreaves. The kit had been in stash for a wee while!

Finally, I would like to wish Felipe Massa all the best for his recuperation after the awful crash during Q2 at the Hungaroring. It was a very worrying time but thankfully he is now on the mend. Once again we can be very thankful for the safety improvements in F1 over the years, in this case the new helmets in particular. I'll keep the picture at top right on the blog until Felipe is back racing again.

Labels: , , , , ,