Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Noro Striped Scarf & Shawl That Jazz





Pattern: Noro Striped Scarf by brooklyntweed
Yarn: Noro Kureyon shades 138, 159, 164 & unknown
Yardage: 4 skeins'-worth in total, 2 of 138, 1 of 159, part-skeins of 164 and unknown
Needles: 4.5mm

I've been wanting to make one of these manually-striped Noro scarves for a long time. I love how this turned out. I cast on 41 stitches for a 1x1 rib scarf approx. 7 inches wide.



Pattern: Shawl That Jazz by Samantha Roshak
Yarn: Mirasol Hacho shade Scarlet Pimpernel
Yardage: 8 skeins approx. 1096 yards
Needles: 5mm

Another cosy winter woolly! The shape of this is lovely, a gentle curve achieved by using short rows. I made the border around 3 inches deep, a little bigger than the size in the pattern. If I made this again I'd leave out the decrease row after picking up the border stitches, for a more ruffly effect.

My current projects include Basil from The Summer Tweed Collection, a sweater I've wanted to make for a while. This is the first time I've knit with Rowan's Summer Tweed, and I'm pleasantly surprised with how it handles. I was expecting something awkward but after the first row I find it great to knit with. The fabric is makes is rather nice too, a bit "scrunchy" but with a softness too. It will be interesting to see how it feels after washing. I'm also making the Robin beret from Amber: A Winter Gathering by Kim Hargreaves. The kit had been in stash for a wee while!

Finally, I would like to wish Felipe Massa all the best for his recuperation after the awful crash during Q2 at the Hungaroring. It was a very worrying time but thankfully he is now on the mend. Once again we can be very thankful for the safety improvements in F1 over the years, in this case the new helmets in particular. I'll keep the picture at top right on the blog until Felipe is back racing again.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 2:33 pm, August 05, 2009, Blogger acrylik said...

Wow, two gorgeous, colourful knits, love them both. That's a beautiful shawl pin on "Shawl That Jazz" too. All that luscious colour has really brightened up my day :)

 
At 3:28 pm, August 05, 2009, Blogger Donna said...

Very colourful, I must have a go at the scarf sometime.

 
At 6:58 am, August 06, 2009, Blogger Sarah said...

That was a scary crash, thank goodness he's on the mend.

Love the colours you've got going on here - beautiful knits both - and I too must finally get around to one of those scarfs, I've been doing stripey Noro socks and the stripes are wicked though I'm not sure about the yarn.

 
At 8:46 pm, August 07, 2009, Blogger Linda said...

I love the colours in your knits, the shawl is particulary nice.

 
At 6:08 pm, August 08, 2009, Blogger Daisy said...

Wow, I love the way the stripes work out! I'm wanting to knit with Summer Tweed again - I first tried it when it was the first time knitting with anything cotton and I found it really difficult, but now might be the time to try again!

 
At 7:59 am, August 10, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely colours, another two for my list!

 
At 12:27 pm, November 27, 2009, Blogger Got It From My Mama said...

Hi just wanted to say how much I liked your blog. Your scarf was lovely very delicate. I have a problem knitting wiht mohair and lambswool because I am allergic and always get an itchy nose which is annoying but it doesn't stop me from using it. Loved your hats as well

 

Post a Comment

<< Home