Saturday, January 13, 2007

Fyberspates sock club

I received the first of three parcels from the Fyberspates sock club yesterday.



This is alpaca sock yarn (90% alpaca, 10% nylon) and is beautifully soft. I love the aqua and purple colourway. With the first parcel you also get a keychain sock blocker so you can make mini socks if you so wish, with leftover yarn :-)

Not being a sock knitter as yet, I shall reserve judgement on what to make with this yarn. I'm more inclined to make a shoulder shawl or scarf than sock at this juncture! Where socks are concerned I'm much more interested in making the knee-high variety. Socks that could be worn with boots and peek over the tops, or maybe the lovely embroidered knee socks in a recent Vogue Knitting :-) Actually, with the way I tend to wreck the toe pieces of tights and hold-ups, I'd be better making fitted legwarmers! (the knitted equivalent of footless tights)

Thanks to everyone who has commented this week, it's lovely to see some new names! I'll be moseying on over to your blogs very soon. Cathy asked what pattern I used for the Heart scarf. This was Knitty's Fall04 "surprise" and is a PDF file containing the Heart pattern and several more. The link takes you to the download page for the PDF.

Good news, I finished my Clapotis last night! I had a little yarn left over from the original 400g of aran silk, but my advice if you are thinking of making this full-size in the Hipknits aran silk is that you might want to consider purchasing 500g, to be on the safe side. I'm really pleased with the finished product, I need to weave in a few ends and steam press it, so with luck there will be photos tomorrow. I also have some more Posh Yarn to show you. All I can say is, the cashmere 6-ply is the SOFTEST yarn I have ever held, it's fabulous.

Last night I made a start on the Diamonds on the Diagonal scarf, I have one 18-row repeat done and it looks good so far. The eyelets are very visible even without blocking. I also dug out two skeins of Silk Garden I bought last summer, as I want to make another Slanted Eyelet scarf. The original was knitted this time last year in Kureyon, which in hindsight isn't the softest yarn to use for a scarf, and was also a gift. This time I'm making one for me! It's a fairly quick knit too.

Finally, back to Clapotis - my original Clapper knitted in Fyberpsates merino DK should probably take the title of Favourite Knit of 2006 - simply because I wear it all the time! I wear it most days at work either as a scarf or a wrap round my shoulders, it keeps me toasty warm and I treasure it. The yarn is also wearing extremely well!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 7:06 pm, January 13, 2007, Blogger Cat said...

Hi from Sweden!

 
At 7:27 pm, January 13, 2007, Blogger T said...

Lovely sock yarn colour. Or scarf or shawl yarn :)
Another Clapper down, well done. Let's hope it becomes as much of a favourite as the first one.
The eyelet scarf should be nice and comfy in Silk Garden.

 
At 7:32 pm, January 13, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

The Fyberspates yarn looks gorgeous. I'm not sure if it would solve the holey toes problem but you can get sock patterns with easily replacable soles.

Well done on Clapper #2!

 
At 10:52 pm, January 13, 2007, Blogger Lyndsey-Jane said...

I fell in love my fyberspates yarn, it is so soft and lovely that it seems a shame to use it on socks. I will probably use it to make a shawl or scarf instead.

 
At 10:31 am, January 14, 2007, Blogger Rosie said...

Im delurking so hello Dreamcatcher i love the colour of that yarn I want some :)

 
At 11:39 am, January 14, 2007, Blogger acrylik said...

Wow, you've been really busy!

Love the Fyberspates yarn, that really is gorgeous. On socks - I have always worn out the toes on commercial socks and tights too, but all my knitted socks have stayed intact, and I wear them constantly. So don't let that put you off. I agree, knee high knitted socks would be gorgeous!

Congratulations on finishing the Clapotis! Looking forward to seeing it.

 
At 3:20 pm, January 14, 2007, Blogger Alice said...

What a practical idea - making leg warmers instead of socks. They would last a lot longer.

 
At 4:55 pm, January 14, 2007, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Awww, yummy yarn! I for my part would of course be happily casting on for socks, but the idea of a scarf with it is great too, of course!
I think the thing with socks is, you'll either get totally addicted knitting them or you don't like knitting them at all, there's not much in between ;) But there's rumours about people who didn't enjoy knitting socks for long, then tried a certain pattern - and woosh, addicted they were. So, it's never too late, you know? ;)

 
At 7:10 pm, January 14, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

The yarn looks lovely and the mini sock blocker is very cute. I can't wait to see the Posh Yarn!

I hope you post some pictures of your second Clapotis soon. I still think your first clapotis is one of the prettiest I've seen.

 
At 7:38 pm, January 14, 2007, Blogger artyfartykat said...

The yarn from Fyberspates is gorgeous, seems a shame to use such yummy stuff on socks!! Can't wait to see what you make with it.

 
At 7:47 pm, January 14, 2007, Blogger ~Silvia~ said...

Oh look at That Yarn!!! What a gorgeous colour!! make Socks...just because you can

 
At 2:33 pm, January 21, 2007, Blogger shaz said...

Oh wow. Guess who you've just made sign up for the fyberspates sock club? :D

 
At 10:17 am, February 12, 2007, Blogger Rain said...

That's gorgeous. You can get sock patterns to wear with toepost sandals, all of the foot part but no toe section. Can't imagine them made knee high with your summer sandals though. I like the idea of legwarmers instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home