Saturday, January 14, 2006

Eyelets and WIPs



The slanted eyelet scarf was completed last Sunday, and I washed and pinned it out to block on Monday evening. I was delighted with the way it turned out, the blocking opened up the pattern and the scarf is (as the original pattern states it should be!), soft and drapey.

Pattern: Slanted Eyelet scarf from Knitting-Pattern-A-Day 2006 calendar
Yarn: Noro Kureyon (shade 157) 100% wool
Yardage: approx. 270 yards, 125g (2.5 balls)
Finished size: approx. 6 inches wide by 65 inches long

I made the scarf rather longer than the original pattern called for, this is designed to be warm and practical for the British winter!

I used felted joins to add the new balls of yarn in and they worked very well. I've found I quite enjoy knitting lacy patterns! Although this is quite a simple one, a two row repeat, it's given me the incentive to try something more complex next time :-)



I now have 2 WIPs, the first being a 1x1 rib watch cap/hat in black Cashmerino. I started this with DH in mind, but he's decided he probably wouldn't use it much (true, he rarely wears a hat). Now it's mine :-)

The second is Latifa, the ruffled scarf from Knitty. I forgot to take a photo of the yarn earlier. Earlier on I found I had the wrong shade in one of the balls. It had been hard to tell as there are actually two shades in Silketweed called off-white. I hadn't realised I had the wrong one until I checked he shade number itself. SKD have been lovely and hopefully I'll have the more beige-y shade very soon!

I'm looking to make myself a vest-tank top in black. I really want to use a natural fibre yarn, as the difference in warmth and insulating properties is very noticeable in this cold weather! My idea was to have the tank top as an additional layer I could wear underneath a cardigan on very cold days. I tend to feel the cold and at work on Friday I got quite a chill, my hands were freezing! Thank goodness for the Cashmerino Hufflepuff scarf which I put back on, I've been wearing it a lot recently and every day this week.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:15 pm, January 14, 2006, Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

love the scarf

 
At 9:18 pm, January 14, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

It's beautiful! The colours have worked out perfectly.

 
At 5:27 pm, January 15, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

I love your scarf..the colours look fab!!!
I have knitted Latifa , i wore it last year loads of times and everyone fell in love with it, obviously it's not posh yarn ,just an assortment from my stash odds and ends :0)I'll have to take a pic of it and post it on my blog,i knitted it prior to blogging ;0)

 
At 10:47 am, January 16, 2006, Blogger Sharon J said...

That is so gorgeous! The colours are fabulous! The choice of yarn works so well with that pattern. Congratulations. I don't usually get excited about scarves but that one's an exception. ~Sharon

 
At 5:13 pm, January 16, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That is a very nice looking scarf The colors are beautiful! Thanks for the help with the teal yarn! I can't wait to see Latifa!

 
At 7:15 pm, January 17, 2006, Blogger Uknitty said...

That really *is* pretty, it reminds me a bit of clapotis. The colours are gorge as well... they seem to fade in to each other nicely.


C x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home