Sunday, March 26, 2006

Completed Clapotis

I finally completed Clapotis yesterday :-) After weaving in ends I pressed it lightly with a steam iron set to a suitable heat, with a cotton/linen cloth on top as I'm not keen on ironing directly onto the woollen fabric. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out and will hopefully be wearing it this week! The photos are not fantastic due to strong daylight from one side only (a bit damp to take photos outside unfortunately!):



Pattern: Clapotis by Kate Gilbert
Yarn: Fyberspates DK Merino in Wild Foxglove
Yardage: Just over 6 50g skeins - around 600 yards/555 metres
Dimensions: approx. 21 inches by 59 inches



I've also worked on Odessa (an inch away from the decreases) and even a little on Latifa this week. I'm going to finish Odessa then start the Bergere de France jacket, and another child-size hat for Dulaan. Once that is done I think I will post the Dulaan items off to the States.

A wee bit of stash enhancement this week *cough*, I blame it on the Rowan book having such nice patterns. I got the yarn (Yorkshire Tweed DK in "Skip", a pretty muted aqua) for the Brigitte fitted jacket from R38. Once again from Jannette's, fantastic service and good prices. Also got 2 balls of Rowan Spray to make those slippers in Simply Knitting, as I'm fed up of falling out of my current fluffy slippers!

Good to see we are all in knitterly agreement regarding sizing! I seem to remember reading that the current UK sizing standards date from the 1950s. Ah, a decade that is so very similar to the 2000s! Not! Post-war, people had been on rationing for many years, no chance that the sizes then would bear any relation to those over 50 years later. You could, if you were of a slightly paranoid outlook, think that clothing manufacturers have a vested (no pun intended!) interest in keeping sizings to 1950s standards. It means they can make whole "special" "plus-size" ranges and charge a premium for them, in the full and certain knowledge that many people will end up buying them because the "normal" sizes are way too small. I am turning into a clothing conspiracy theory nut I think :-)

Actually I have been thinking about getting to grips with the sewing machine, and attempting some basic sewing and dressmaking. I was inspired in part by the whole 1940s look created with the Brigitte jacket. One day I would like to be able to make skirts and trousers that fit me properly, as I have huge trouble finding things in the shops (or rather catalogues as I don't like clothes shopping!) that are a comfortable fit.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 2:28 pm, March 26, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

Your Clapotis is one of the prettiest I've seen on the net. I love the colour you chose. Enjoyed reading your blog.

 
At 2:47 pm, March 26, 2006, Blogger sal the spider said...

Fabulous clapotis m'dear! :-)
Sal x

 
At 3:12 pm, March 26, 2006, Blogger ra said...

I like the clapotis, very nice.

If you do the slippers from Simply Knitting BEWARE, I think the pattern is wrong for front upper. If you find that I'm wrong, please let me know, I have two thirds of a pair of slippers, and I'm waiting for the next issue to see if there's a correction.

 
At 3:19 pm, March 26, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

It's beautiful. The colours work really well. I just think of a rose garden every time I see it.

I know what you mean about clothes sizes. It's not just the size of us, but the shape too that's changed. I keep meaning to get the sewing machine out too.

 
At 8:17 pm, March 26, 2006, Blogger T said...

The Clapotis is gorgeous :) I'll take pics of mine tomorrow. I'm glad you're pleased with the way it turned out, you're right to be.

Ah, Bergere jacket is next, you've decided :)

I went and looked up those slippers, they're great! You'll have cosy toes.

Sewing? Machine? *shudders at memories of revolting school-made smock a la 1974*

 
At 9:03 pm, March 26, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

I love that Fyberspates Wild Foxglove colourway. The clapotis is beautiful!

 
At 11:42 pm, March 26, 2006, Blogger tgirl147 said...

I am stunned into an uncharacteristic silence by the wondrous clapotis. It's just gorgeous - expect people to stop you on the street and ask where you got it. (Make sure you mention "one-off" "designer" and "you don't want to know how much it cost darling…") Honestly, ogling at fellow bloggers knitting is just no good for my stash issues! Looking forward to seeing your start on the jacket as my knitting isn't progressing at all. As for sewing machines – don't tell anyone but I was a sewer before I started knitting. If you can find great fabric then you can make fabulous stuff incredibly cheaply. Try http://www.sewingpatterns.com/ for bargainously cheap patterns of every variety! see ya. T

 
At 3:54 pm, March 27, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Your Clapotis is just beautiful! I can't wait to hear all about all the wonderful comments you will get from people when wearing it - it's a stunner!

 
At 10:43 pm, March 28, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That looks so beautiful!! I love it! I am about half way with mine and I am running out of yarn :( I love the yarn you chose!!

 
At 3:31 am, April 22, 2006, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

How did you ever have the patience to finish your clapotis? I felt like I was going mentally ill doing it and had to frog it. Congrats, yours is lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home