Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pink tweed cardigan





Pattern: Design G from Sirdar Relaxed Weekend Living (345) - v-neck version
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Aran Tweed in shade 20001
Yardage: 10 x 50g skeins for 36/38 size

A fabulous warm and cosy cardigan, it's perfect for the current freezing conditions! The only minor mod I made was adding around an inch to the sleeves, just personal preference. All the seaming was done with a toning plain wool DK yarn, partly to reduce seam bulk but mainly because I've found the tweeds tend to break when you're sewing up with them.

I usually go for a slightly more fitted look but this was intended for being a comfy cardi to wear around the house. It's a relaxed fit without being baggy. I used some pinky-purple shell buttons which pick up the lilac and bright purple flecks in the tweed. I'd defnitely use this yarn again, it does bloom quite significantly on washing and softens up well (for reference this is the original, discontinued DB aran tweed).

This is my first FO of 2009! Now this one is done, I will make an effort to complete the Flutter Sleeve which has languished for a while. However as I'd finished one thing I decided to start another new project, the Melinda cardigan/jacket from the Colinette Wayfarer pattern book. This yarn (Prism) has been in stash for an age and I love how it is knitting up so far. For once, I'm following Colinette's advice and using two skeins at once, two rows per skein carrying the other up the side. As there is quite some difference in the depth and distribution of the colours in the skeins I have, I thought it was worth doing, and I'm very pleased with how it looks so far:



This is the back, I'm almost up to the armholes now since last night's knitting stint.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 1:52 pm, January 10, 2009, Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

The cardigan looks lovely and I love the Colinette thingy:)
Thank you for the fabulous yarn that arrived today for YOSH:)

 
At 10:00 pm, January 10, 2009, Blogger Sarah said...

What a lovely cosy cardi for this cold, cold weather. That fab colour alone is enough to take the chill off.

 
At 10:49 pm, January 10, 2009, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

lovely cosy looking cardi and I too love the colour . The next WIP is looking good too

 
At 11:21 pm, January 10, 2009, Blogger kathy b said...

You are such a speedy one! Lovely comfy cardi.

 
At 12:06 pm, January 11, 2009, Blogger acrylik said...

Beautiful cardi, it looks so cosy and warm, and the colour is divine!

Love the colours in your new knit, too.

 
At 5:21 am, January 12, 2009, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Hey, the bright pink cardi is done! Looks great - cosy too.
The next item looks ever so pretty too. I wish I could've brought all my stash with me but alas the Colinette is marinating at home.

 
At 7:23 am, January 12, 2009, Blogger Linda said...

The cardigan looks lovely, perfect for this winter weather!

 
At 6:26 pm, January 18, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like the perfect cardigan for snuggling up on a cold day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home