Saturday, January 24, 2009

Flutter Sleeve Cardigan





Pattern: Flutter Sleeve Cardigan by Pam Allen, Interweave Knits Spring 2008
Yarn: Rowan Calmer shade Kiwi
Yardage: 4.72 skeins
Size made: 40

Finally completed and I'm very happy with the result! The shaping and detail on this design is excellent, and the stretch in the Calmer is quite helpful in keeping the rib section snug. In hindsight I would rethink the button placing as the top button is probably a little too high, and with the Calmer's elasticity there is some "pull". I added a couple of press-studs/poppers between the buttons.

The sleeve edgings are a single thickness of seed/moss stitch rather than turned back and doubled, and I knit 8 rows before binding off. I also omitted the small sleeve tabs. Definitely a pattern I would consider making again.

I've started Petersburg from Rowan 42 this week, and finished the back piece last night (photo was taken the previous day):



My first time knitting with Cocoon, it's incredibly soft yarn although does tend to shed some fibres. Not surprising as it's 20% angora!

Spring, while not exactly in the air, is also beckoning, and having completed Flutter Sleeve I'm keen to make something else in Calmer. I've had my eye on Hearten from the Calmer Collection for a long time so that may be my next project.

It would be great to have another dedicated collection of patterns written for Calmer too. There are a few designs in the new Rowan 45 but none of them appeal to me. Capri from R43 is a must-knit. Kim Hargreaves has several lovely patterns from her recent books though, including Still.

Speaking of Rowan 45, overall I think it is a good collection, especially the Bloom section. My crochet skills are going to need some serious improvement to tackle some of those edgings though!

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 2:29 pm, January 24, 2009, Blogger kathy b said...

Ive been eyeing Cocoon at my LYS for a few months. It feels so soft. Glad to hear a review

 
At 7:05 pm, January 24, 2009, Blogger Daisy said...

Oooh I've got some Cocoon in my stash waiting to be knitted up. I loved it when I saw some knitted up at GK last year!

 
At 5:36 pm, January 25, 2009, Blogger florencemary said...

Gorgeous cardie! What a great fit, and I totally love the colour - that limey-appley green.

 
At 2:38 am, January 26, 2009, Blogger blog-blethers said...

Flutter is gorgeous - especially in that colour. And looks even better against your black wardrobe...

The Cocoon looks beautiful too. I feel my commitment to reducing my stash disappear ...

 
At 9:13 am, January 26, 2009, Blogger Sarah said...

This looks so great on you - I wasn't wowed by it in the magazine but it looks so lovely I'm rethinking my opinion.

Cocoon is certainly the other end of the Rowan spectrum from KSH - looks like anothere winner in the making!

 
At 8:47 pm, January 27, 2009, Blogger yarnivorous said...

ooo, err! Curvy! Looks much better than in the mag :-)

 
At 9:27 pm, January 27, 2009, Blogger Linda said...

I love your Flutter cardi, gorgeous colour and fit!

 
At 4:28 pm, January 30, 2009, Blogger acrylik said...

What a beautiful cardigan, the colour is gorgeous and the fit is just perfect. Looking forward to seeing Petersburg all knit up.

I enjoyed Rowan 45 too - and those crochet edgings - beautiful!

 
At 6:58 pm, February 02, 2009, Blogger Probably Jane said...

The Flutter looks gorgeous - and in one of my favourite colours.

 
At 12:28 pm, February 06, 2009, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, this looks stunning and your finishing is really perfect! I love knitting with Calmer it's such a nice yarn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home