Monday, January 05, 2009

24 in 2009

Having decided this is the year of knitting up some of my stash, into some of the lovely projects I have queued, I've joined up for the 24 in 2009 challenge (link is to the Ravelry thread in the Stash Knit-down group, where the idea originated).

This is also a knitalong/project on the Crafty Threads 'n' Yarns forum, thanks go to KnittingLadybird for the button in the sidebar! When I counted up the projects I'd completed in 2008 I was quite surprised to find there were 21. This in a year where I struggled to be able to knit at all at times, and I certainly felt my output was reduced. The 24 projects can be anything you like, there are no restrictions, and you can count anything you already had as a WIP in 2008.

Speaking of WIPs, here is my current progress on Clapotis #3:



I've just completed the ninth straight repeat (of thirteen), and am using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in "Watercolour". It looks like I'll need a little of a fourth skein to finish, based upon my yarn usage calculations thus far. This yarn has been in stash for some time, always intended for another Clapotis. Why Clapotis? I know it's quite an "old" pattern now, but my original one has been worn day in, day out for nigh on 3 years. It's a perfect design for wearing as a scarf, and if it's chilly (think air-conditioned offices) it serves very well as a wrap to ward off the cold. My original piece is starting to look a little faded with washing and wearing, although it has barely pilled at all, and I'd always promised myself another, in worsted weight this time.

I now need to head off and tackle the raglan seaming on the cardigan, it has been pinned for a couple of days, but I need decent daylight for sewing-up.

I also decided to keep track of how much yarn I've actually knit up this year, using the KnitMeter. I'm usually clueless how much I've used, and as I'm trying to knit some of the stash it seemed a useful thing to have a record.

Finally, thank you for all your comments, they are all very much appreciated! It's not always that easy to reply directly to the author, given that Blogger doesn't ask for an email address when commenting. However I will try to post some responses in the comments themselves, which I believe you can track by selecting the option to have follow-up comments emailed to you.

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 2:32 pm, January 05, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such pretty yarn! I've never made one of these, but people rave about it, so maybe I should!

 
At 3:02 pm, January 05, 2009, Blogger RooKnits said...

I love the watercolour colourway. It looks fantastic as a Clapotis.

 
At 4:34 pm, January 05, 2009, Blogger Sarah said...

This is looking fabulous. Like your plans for 2009 and the challenge and knitmeter sound like things I should look in to. Have a happy knitty year :o)

 
At 5:07 pm, January 05, 2009, Blogger Janice said...

That is just so goregous :-D Beautiful colours.

 
At 6:47 pm, January 05, 2009, Blogger kathy b said...

Your clap is lovely. Surprise you use a straight needle. Im a circular lover. Happy new knit year

 
At 6:47 pm, January 05, 2009, Blogger kathy b said...

Your clap is lovely. Surprise you use a straight needle. Im a circular lover. Happy new knit year

 
At 7:26 pm, January 05, 2009, Blogger Joy said...

Clapotis is going to be wonderful - such lovely colours. I do believe I have some sock yarn in the same shade. I'm a straight needle girl, I can't get on with those pesky circulars ;-)

I am trying to knit mostly from stash, and to to the 24 in 2009 thingy too.

 
At 7:41 pm, January 05, 2009, Blogger blog-blethers said...

Ooooh Clapotis is just beautiful and what a perfect colour for it. Can't wait to see it finished...

Good luck for the 24 in 2009 - you'll do it! Woozy here is aiming for 12 instead;o)

 
At 12:30 pm, January 06, 2009, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

PrincessPea - I'd say Clapotis has been my most useful/used knit so far, and you can make them in any weight of yarn and adjust the width to suit. Highly recommended!

Kathy and Aknita - I switch between straights and circs depending upon what I'm knitting. I much prefer circs for hats and gloves, and I prefer straights otherwise, as long as I can easily fit the stitches on to them! I think it's partly the way I knit and that I can be a bit uncoordinated, straights are easier for me a lot of the time :-)

Thank you all for your lovely comments on the latest "Clapper"!

 
At 4:14 pm, January 06, 2009, Blogger acrylik said...

Wow, 21 projects in the last year, that's fantastic! The challenge for this year sounds great, good luck with it.

Your new Clapotis looks stunning, those colours are yummy!

 
At 5:21 pm, January 06, 2009, Blogger florencemary said...

Absolutely beautiful, in that yarn! I must admit that I've not yet knitted a Clapotis, but I'm certainly inspired by yours!

 
At 4:16 pm, January 07, 2009, Blogger Linda said...

Clapotis is such a classic, I wore mine all the time. I might make another sometime soon seeing yours!

 
At 4:56 am, January 09, 2009, Blogger yarnivorous said...

I find being a lady of leisure is very conducive to getting lots of knitting done :-)
Looks like it is going to be a lovely Clap. I've never made one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home