Sunday, March 02, 2008

PIF, prizes and live comedy

I sent out my PIF parcels last week and both have now been received, so I can now show you what I made!

In the end, after trying several other patterns, I settled upon the "Pashmina Cowl" from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I do recommend this book as it contains a lot of lovely useful patterns, including the famous Chevron Scarf. The first cowl for gilraen was made in Posh Yarn Emily, shade Digress:



The second cowl for blog-blethers was knit in Stroud Wool sock yarn (Socrates) from Violet Green, shade "Solent":



In the end I only had two rather than the usual three PIF recipients, so when the lovely Sarah offered to obtain some Koigu for me from the USA, I hatched a plan :-) In addition to the yarn I sent in return I whipped up a pair of Dashing gloves in Rowan Yorkshire Tweed Aran (shade Hero). I knew these were on her "queue" and I also knew she was awfully busy making gifts for other people, so it was a nice opportunity to surprise her with a wee handknit gift :-)



Not the most fantastic photo of mine, but Sarah does have better pictures on her blog.

My CPH is almost finished! Just the front bands to knit on, then washing/blocking, and seaming. Oh and sewing on buttons! I'm looking at making a couple of the sweaters from Fitted Knits next, probably Alexandra first, but I may just have to squeeze in a Forest Canopy shawl in some lovely PY merino DK that I've had for ages! My original FCS has been doing a sterling job keeping me warm in the face of air conditioning this winter, as has my Clapotis, so another one of those in Lorna's Laces this time is also on the cards.

I received this lovely prize from Liz at fluffyknitting this week, which I won in her blogiversary draw:



A skein of Lamb's Pride worsted in "Chocolate Souffle" (yummy), a pretty FQ of fabric, some choccy (yummy again), and this gorgeous set of stitchmarkers:



Thanks again Liz for my lovely prize!

I will be running a blogiversary draw this month, as it was three years ago that I first set this blog up. It took another couple of months for knitting content to appear but it doesn't seem like three years at all! Stay tuned for the details.

We had a great night out on Friday, as we went to see French & Saunders on their final UK tour. What we didn't realise was that this was the opening night of the tour! We'd found our seats and were sitting looking around before the show, when Mr DC said "Isn't that ..." and nodded over to where none other than Lenny Henry was walking through the stalls near us! I wasn't 100% sure it was him, although I have sat a few feet away from him a year or so ago during the filming of the last "Vicar of Dibley" episodes! Anyway it soon became clear that we were right as Dawn said some of her family were in the audience that night!

We really enjoyed the show, a clever combination of live sketches interspersed with filmed segments (allowing for more complex costume and prosthetics changes). We'd never seen them in a live show before (although obviously I've seen Dawn at the VoD filming), so make sure you go if you're a fan as this really is their last tour! There was some very funny rivalry running through the show, Vicar of Dibley versus Absolutely Fabulous for top sitcom and comedy goddess! It did culminate in a hilarious sequence near the end but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't yet seen it.

My next theatre visit is in a couple of weeks, to see "Sleuth" with Michael Praed and Simon McCorkindale. Michael played Robin in the wonderful "Robin of Sherwood" of course, so I had to go to see this! I even managed to get a front row seat :-)

Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 7:02 pm, March 02, 2008, Blogger annarella said...

Hiya,

So nice to hear from you again! Wow, those are yummy prizes, the stitch markers are particularly lovely :) ...and Green and Black... mmm... my favourites!

 
At 10:29 pm, March 02, 2008, Blogger gilraen said...

Thank you again for the wonderful cowl!!! :)

 
At 10:43 pm, March 02, 2008, Blogger Liz said...

You are very welcome for the prizes. Wow, lucky you going to see French and Saunders, I love them!

 
At 7:38 am, March 03, 2008, Blogger Linda said...

Lovely cowls, its nice to hear all about your knitting again. I look forward to seeing CPH!

 
At 11:02 am, March 03, 2008, Blogger acrylik said...

Beautiful knits, in beautiful yarn too. And what a gorgeous prize you received!

I really enjoyed hearing about the French and Saunders live show, sounds excellent. And your next theatre visit sounds wonderful too!

 
At 12:32 pm, March 03, 2008, Blogger Sussex Yorkie said...

Both Cowls look lovely.

 
At 6:29 pm, March 03, 2008, Blogger Daisy said...

Oooh French & Saunders sounds fab!

 
At 9:13 pm, March 03, 2008, Blogger Donna said...

The cowls are great, a mutual friend of ours made me one and its so easy to put on and not have to worry about ends draping all over the place. Great under a fleece. I love the blue one.

Look forward to seeing CPH finished.

F&S sounds good, my next trip is in December for the Mighty Boosh!!

 
At 6:16 am, March 04, 2008, Blogger Joy said...

What lovely gifts to send :-) I really enjoyed making my PIF gifts and found the whole experience very rewarding.

And oh oh oh I am going to see Sleuth - the very same production - on my birthday next month :-) I do hope you enjoy it.

 
At 11:22 am, March 04, 2008, Blogger Sarah said...

That shade is really tricky to photo - and you had an extra hand ;o) Thanks again for my warm paws.

Love those cowls - Mum has requested a cowl and I had totally forgotten about that pattern even though I have the book.

 
At 2:08 pm, March 06, 2008, Blogger MandellaUK said...

The cowls are lovely.

I envy your theatre trips. I used to think Michael Praed was gorgeous. What a blast from the past! DH and I often say we don't get to enough live performances.

 
At 7:44 pm, March 07, 2008, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Love those cowls - what great colourways, too! Fantastic blogiversary prize!

 
At 9:18 pm, March 07, 2008, Blogger Seahorse said...

Really lovely gifts! Well done on your hard work.

F&S sounds like it was great fun :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home