Saturday, November 03, 2007

How Many Hats?

The post title being a tribute to a sketch from "Armstrong and Miller" last night, which had me in stitches. I missed the first episode last week (probably still in mourning as "Not Going Out" had ended), it's absolutely hilarious and one of the songs is still going round in my head.

Speaking of hats I do have one to show you. We are having a KAL on the Mighty Boosh group on ravelry, for the hat Vince wears in the episode "Tundra". Mine is knit in Jaeger Extra Fine Merino Chunky (Red Ink), fudging a couple of different patterns together and winging it to some extent. I did a single crochet (US terminology) edging all the way round to stabilise the edges and help reduce curling, and the cords are in i-cord.



This is pre-blocking, it's now blocking on the slightly precarious combination of glass head on upside-down bowl, with some bubble wrap to pin the flaps and edges to. Once dry I'll be adding pompoms, and then some needle-felting to turn it into a Glam Rock Ski Hat :-D

I've not really touched any other knitting since my last post, but there are a few things to show. First up a gorgeous skein of Yarn Yard sock in shade "Conker":



And Posh Yarn Laura in "Moorland":



I was lucky enough to win two prizes in terri's recent fundraiser raffle on the Crafty Threads forum - I picked a Kool Aid dyeing kit:



and the Amy Butler "In Stitches" book (which has all the patterns neatly stashed in a pocket inside the front cover):



In books, I've finished "Postcards" which I thoroughly enjoyed, and have now dug out Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" as it seemed timely! If you've never read any of his novels I definitely recommend "Neverwhere", which was also adapted for television.

I've also finally invested in a set of straighteners, in the end I went for BaByliss Pros instead of GHDs. These things are just genius. My hair is ever so thick and tends to kink and curl, the difference is incredible!

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

At 6:25 pm, November 03, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

Heres to straight hair and gorgeous prizes from Terri!! the hat is fab!

 
At 12:46 pm, November 04, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

Superb Boosh hat!

Lovely prizes and purchases!

 
At 4:46 pm, November 04, 2007, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Great hat - looking forward to seeing it post pompom and needle-felting additions! Fab prizes and very tasty new yarn acquisitions, too!

 
At 7:06 pm, November 04, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

Well done hat queen, the Skye Rib hat has got some wear this weekend; hope the Boosh is as well loved, looking forward to seeing it pom pommed to the max :o)

 
At 7:11 pm, November 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Boosh hat - roll on the next series!
What do you think of the IAmy Butler book - I was looking at it on Amazon t'other day and wishing they used the 'Look inside' facility - is it good???

 
At 7:59 pm, November 04, 2007, Blogger Sussex Yorkie said...

Would that be the song at the end of Armstrong and Miller, my husband worried about me laughing so much! Love the conker yarn and the Posh of course.

 
At 10:52 pm, November 04, 2007, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

I'll get back to you as soon as I can on the book Cherry :-) It's beautifully presented for sure, I haven't had a proper detailed read yet.

SY - yes it was the song at the end of A&M :-D Absolutely hysterical. I was breaking into spontaneous renditions of the first line for the next day, luckily DH already knows I am loopy :-D

 
At 11:51 pm, November 04, 2007, Blogger blog-blethers said...

I love that hat! And am going to have to move away from the keyboard to avoid drool clogged keys (how ladylike am I!!)... I love both those yarns, especially Conker. Hope the recipient is as impressed with your bag as I am!

 
At 3:33 am, November 05, 2007, Blogger Joy said...

What a fab hat, and I LOVE the colour of that conker yarn.

 
At 10:41 am, November 05, 2007, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Great hat ; I too am designing one at the moment but for the lady I had the Welsh Black fleece from and she wants ears and horns on it !! Its the horns that are driving me nuts LOL
Great prizes and love your new yarns

 
At 5:31 pm, November 05, 2007, Blogger acrylik said...

Great to catch up on all you've been up to! Beautiful knits and wonderful stash as always! I'm going to have to check the Boosh out... yes, I am among the uninitiated! Love the hat!

 
At 11:04 pm, November 05, 2007, Blogger Piglottie said...

Wonderful hat! And lol I was drooling after the Moorland yarn but resisted - the Cocker is delicious too!

And in another strange coincidence, I've just got Stardust out from the Library. The film is great too.

PS: I did giggle when you commented on my blog about biology and Mitochondria :) Its the only term I seem to be able to remember but keep wanting to put Midi-chlorians as in the things from Star Wars that make up the force :)

 
At 5:35 pm, November 06, 2007, Blogger T said...

Yummy yarn and prizes :)

Your hat is going to be so good!

I must check that programme out on dvd.

 
At 10:28 am, November 08, 2007, Blogger Jo028 said...

That hat is gorgeous, such a neat knit. Yummy yarns too!

 
At 8:48 pm, November 08, 2007, Blogger Kath said...

Love the colours of the yarns - very yummy and seasonal! That hat certainly looks really cosy as is but can't wait to see it maxed out with all it's pompoms etc! It's good to have a good giggle everynow and then - migth have to try and catch it next time its on!

 
At 1:33 pm, November 09, 2007, Blogger Daisy said...

I love the colour of the Posh yarn. It's absolutely gorgeous!

 
At 4:53 pm, November 09, 2007, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Cute hat and pretty yarn!
Isn't it funny how those with straight hair (ie moi) want curls or waves and those with curls/waves want straight hair?
People say that my hair is lovely and straight, whilst I see it as flat and lifeless! No oomph at all. (But it would voom if you put 4 million volts through it!) LOL

 
At 5:13 pm, November 10, 2007, Blogger housewife said...

Very nice hat

 
At 12:57 pm, November 19, 2007, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Grrr! I just left a quite long comment, but Blogger ate it ;( Okay, here I am, trying again! I love the new yarns that you got, those colours are so beautiful - can't wait to see how it all knits up, and of course in which colours you're going to dye the white one!
The Boosh hat looks awesome so far, totally funky and cool!
And as for Neil Gaiman, I'm almost ashamed to say that I haven't yet read any of his books, though I keep hearing how great he is! I will definitely take your recommendation and order that book you mentioned via Amazon - thanks for the hint!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home