Saturday, October 06, 2007

Smooch

Finally complete after being put to one side in the dismal summer weather:



Pattern: Smooch by Kim Hargreaves, from the Rowan All Seasons Cotton collection
Yarn: Rowan All Seasons Cotton in Pansy
Needles: 5mm and 4mm bamboo straights
Yardage: around four and a half 50g balls

Pattern amendments:
I realised one reason I was avoiding finishing this was the (in my book) fiddly way of making a slipped stitch edging on the armholes and neckline. I decided to simply slip stitches and to be honest it looks the same.

Very glad to have finished a long-standing WIP, and it's a good fit too.

I made this cloth/potholder as a gift recently:



The cloth is knit in Debbie Bliss Cotton DK, using this pattern from Caffina's Creations. The idea for adding some fabric backing and cotton batting came from the Easy-Going Potholders pattern from Magknits. I hand-sewed the backing, which was my first proper sewing for many a year. I was quite pleased with how it turned out, despite hand sewing not being my forte. Next step is tackling the sewing machine!

The remnant from the skein of cotton used above was just enough to make this Simple Lace Headband (not such a great photo I'm afraid):



Another Ribbed Noro Hat for a birthday gift, in Silver Thaw shade 13 (takes a little under one skein):



In books, I finished and thoroughly enjoyed "North and South" while on holiday from work recently. I've also read the new Terry Pratchett novel, "Making Money", which had me laughing out loud as usual. I've now started something different, "Postcards" by Annie Proulx. I believe it is something in the vein of Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath". I read quite a number of his works in my teens, and he is one of the authors I intend to rediscover. I'm also quite keen to re-read some of the Thomas Hardy novels. I know he is not universally liked but I loved books like "Far From The Madding Crowd".

As regards the Pay It Forward exchange, unfortunately hazy is not now able to participate, but I have decided to make a third gift as a surprise for a friend instead, rather than throw the field open again. I feel it's in the spirit of the PIF if not the letter.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At 5:34 pm, October 06, 2007, Blogger Sussex Yorkie said...

Strange but I love the Potholder.

 
At 6:15 pm, October 06, 2007, Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Good for you sewing, now get the ma\chine out:))

 
At 6:40 pm, October 06, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

I love the hat! Great colours and smooch is good too. I have read one Annie Proulx book which was great, I might look for more too! (shipping news if you wanted to borrow it)

 
At 12:57 am, October 07, 2007, Blogger Piglottie said...

I love the Potholder, and think the fabric on the back is a great idea. You will be fine on the sewing maching - crikey, if I can do it anyone can :)

Smooch has come out really lovely - I really like the decoration on the bottom and the colour is great.

I'm a Thomas Hardy fan and got ribbed remorselessly about it at Uni but I dont care. Jude the Obscure is a bit depressing, though still worth the read imho. Tess is great, and his poetry is really cool as well.

 
At 9:27 am, October 07, 2007, Blogger KnitYoga said...

The potholder looks great with the fabric on the back. Looks like you did a great job. Like you, I keep meaning to get the sewing machine out and have a go but, in my case, I seem to be always putting it off in favour of something else. Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll be fine and won't it be wonderful to not only wear your own knits but your own 'sewns' as well!

Well done also for finishing Smooch. It looks really nice - edging and all - and the colours in the Noro hat look wonderful!

 
At 9:57 am, October 07, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

You've been as busy as ever, so many nice FOs - Smooch is very lovely.

 
At 12:15 pm, October 07, 2007, Blogger Daisy said...

Go for it with the sewing machine! At least with a machine you can't sew it to whatever you're wearing by mistake, which is what I did once with hand sewing!
Smooch looks fab!

 
At 2:32 pm, October 07, 2007, Blogger Jo028 said...

I absolutely love your Smooch & have borrowed/nicked your idea to add to the Rowan sub gift to make it too, if they ever send it out! Nice neat sewing on the pot-holder & fab hat too.

 
At 9:09 pm, October 07, 2007, Blogger T said...

Smooch is lovely, your stitching is so neat. Love the potholder, hairband and hat, they're all beautifully done.
I love Thomas Hardy! 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' remains one of my favourite books.

 
At 4:55 am, October 08, 2007, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Smooch looks good and curvy! Nice! Fancy that - making a potholder actually able to hold pots (unlike me burning myself on oven trays, etc etc...)

 
At 10:40 am, October 08, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

Gorgeous FOs! I especially like the pot holder ;)

 
At 9:42 am, October 09, 2007, Blogger Joy said...

What a great Smooch - "my" colour of course ;)

I love the potholder too.

Sadly i don't know one end of a sewing machine from the other :(

 
At 3:42 pm, October 09, 2007, Blogger Kath said...

Lovely colours in Smooch and the hat. Nice when you eventually finish things from the UFO pile that have been there for ages! I'd reccomend Annie Proulx's Shipping Forcast as well - worth a read!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home