Sunday, October 14, 2007

Skully mini tote

I made this a little while ago for a prezzie, now it is safely with the recipient I can post a picture :-)



Pattern: Mini Skull and Crossbones Tote by Hello Yarn
Yarn: Cascade 220 shades 8555 (black) and 8401 (silver grey)
Needles: 6.5mm
Yardage: around three quarters of the MC (black) skein (100g skein) plus a small amount of the grey

I completely forgot to take a picture pre-felting to show the amazing difference. This is knit with larger needles to give a slightly more open fabric, something I have really only now appreciated is required for good felting. The bag was put in the washing machine at 70 degrees, inside a zipped wash bag (the mesh kind), with a large bath towel for agitation. As we have the standard UK automatic washing machine it went through the full wash cycle, and it emerged as a fully felted piece. There is zero stitch definition left. I am very happy with the end result, and there is plenty of yarn left to make a second bag in the reverse colourway.

I finally finished the back section of the CPH a few days ago, and have just started the first front piece. I thought about knitting both fronts at once but decided not to. I've been noting row counts for the back piece so I can use those to match the pieces up with hopefully a reasonable amount of accuracy.

I've started a new work routine recently and am still adjusting, so I've had less time than usual to visit blogs. I'll visit when I can, it might be a while after posts went up and I might be reading several at once, but I'll get there eventually :-)

Thanks everyone for the book recs in the previous post too. I've actually read The Shipping News, a few years ago now, what a wonderful book. They made a half-decent film of it too! I'm about half way through Postcards, it's fascinating, and AP writes such evocative prose.

12 Comments:

At 2:05 pm, October 14, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

What a fab bag - thanks for the info re felting - I was thinking a closer knitted fabric stood a better chance of felting well but I guess bigger gaps gives better movement.

The Koigu I won is shade P112-98 - I've had a little look for more in this shade as I want another skein but haven't found any from UK peeps yet so let me know if you do find any :o)

 
At 8:35 pm, October 14, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

I love your bag!

 
At 8:44 pm, October 14, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

The bag looks great! Looking forward to seeing more CPH.

 
At 11:28 pm, October 14, 2007, Blogger Terri said...

I LOVE the tote!!!! Its brilliant!
Looking forward to seeing cph finished:-)

 
At 3:40 am, October 15, 2007, Blogger Joy said...

What a cool bag - I love it!

 
At 12:00 pm, October 15, 2007, Blogger T said...

Fandabbydozy bag :D Good news that CPH is progressing, that'll be such a nice garment for the Winter.

 
At 8:37 pm, October 15, 2007, Blogger Marlena said...

Great gift! I had totally forgotten about that bag, but I think I know someone who would like one.

 
At 10:59 pm, October 15, 2007, Blogger Piglottie said...

Groovy bag! I've heard the Cascade felt really well.

Hope work settles down soon.

 
At 5:08 pm, October 17, 2007, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Love the skully tote! Looking forward to seeing CPH as it progresses.

 
At 6:01 pm, October 19, 2007, Blogger Jo028 said...

Brilliant bag, it looks really good. It's CPH weather, can't wait to see it finished.

 
At 1:32 pm, October 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great bag - interesting about the more open texture for felting. I am just about to try a 'thinner felt' - hope I have as good results!

 
At 10:26 am, October 22, 2007, Blogger Kath said...

That bag looks really good and good to hear how well it felted for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home