Thursday, September 13, 2007

Colinette haul

We had the most beautiful weather for our trip down to Colinette, blue skies and sunshine all the way. Just like a perfect summer's day - in mid-September!

For those who haven't visited the Banwy workshops, this is the view from outside:



The sheds/workshops extend quite a way to the right. It all looks quite functional and utilitarian from here. Some of the metal shutter doors were open on Tuesday, and we could see moving machinery that looked like it was winding yarn - we've never seen any of the doors open before so it was interesting to see what lurks behind them! Behind the blue door on the left is the entrance to the mill shop, which does look exactly like the photo on the link, a riot of colour.

As you go in to your immediate left is the new aran yarn Iona. It feels gorgeous as you might expect (wool, silk and mohair mix). We went off hunting for Skye, the 100% wool aran, as I was after the new Iona book and some Skye to knit Enid, a sideways-knit jacket. I eventually chose Velvet Bronze, a lovely subtle mix of purples and bronzed browns:



All of the "velvet" shades are incredible. It's one thing to see photos of shades but quite another to look at them for real. You could quite literally buy half of the shop!

On our last visit I got three skeins of Prism from the sale room, with no real idea what to use them for. Recently I got the Wayfarer pattern book and after seeing minniemoll's Melinda cardigan, realised I just needed three more skeins of the Prism in "Monet":



I also wanted some more Point 5 as it's great for felting, my DH spotted the three skeins on the left in the sale room, and I found the other one. The singleton may well become another comfy beanie hat, and I will dream up a felted project for the others (which I reckon were meant to be Ischia).



There was plenty of Point 5 in the sale room, along with some mohair in wonderful shades (a striking blue-green, and a pale pink mottled colourway both caught my eye). A fair bit of Cadenza too, which is such a soft merino DK. Both Tao and Parisienne were on special offer so for anyone going soon (Anne and Kath!) hopefully that will still be at those prices.

All in all a fabulous day. We had a wander down to the railway station (where some of the new Iona book was photographed), and back via the riverside path.



(clickie for desktop wallpaper-sized version)


We headed over to Criccieth through the stunning scenery of Snowdonia. I managed to snap this through the side window of the car, click for the big version and look at the sheep for scale!



We stayed overnight at the Mynydd Ednyfed country house hotel, which we thoroughly enjoyed. It is set in gardens and surrounding estate just above Criccieth town. The house was once home to David Lloyd George's family.

The following day we visited a friend who lives nearby, but first we went down to the beach and admired the view across to Snowdonia. It looked very ethereal, all shades of pale silvery grey, blues and pinks:



(clickie for desktop wallpaper-sized version)


My favourite photo was this one:



(clickie for desktop wallpaper-sized version)


On arriving home a squishy Posh parcel was waiting:



Posh Yarn Emily in "Mistress"


All in all a very pleasant two days!

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 5:39 pm, September 13, 2007, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Oh goodie I am glad to hear you have left SOME goodies there;Kath and I are off to Colinette next week :) A great yarn haul you have there too
Do you realize you practically passed our doorway ? I have family in Criccieth too :)Next time , don't be a stranger , call in for a 'paned a teisen' ( tea & cake )
So glad you hada great time :)

 
At 6:47 pm, September 13, 2007, Blogger gilraen said...

I love Criccieth!!! We stayed down the road at Hafen Y Mor but spent most of our days at this georgeous village, the tea rooms there are wonderful!

I love the pictures of all your yarn, it sounds like heaven!!!!

 
At 7:54 pm, September 13, 2007, Blogger florencemary said...

Oooh, you lucky thing! What a lovely day out - yarn heaven, plus those fantastic views!

And would you believe it, I bought the other skein of Posh Yarn 'Mistress'. Great minds, eh?

 
At 9:09 pm, September 13, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

Ooh lovely, lovely yarns :)

 
At 7:14 am, September 14, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

What a great time you had! the yarns are lovely. I have never tried Colinette stuff before.

 
At 7:21 am, September 14, 2007, Blogger kathryn said...

What a perfect day at Colinette! It really is breathtaking when you first walk through that door - quite magical! And you've bought some lovely yarn!

I love your photo of the boat and wake.

 
At 7:58 am, September 14, 2007, Blogger Sussex Yorkie said...

Your collection of yarn is lovely, I am tempted by the aran and Enid. I think I should thank you for the info!

 
At 9:17 am, September 14, 2007, Blogger T said...

No, I could quite literally buy the WHOLE shop, lol.

Lovely yarns and photographs, I'm glad you had such a good time. A yarn-spotting DH is a boon :-)

 
At 9:11 pm, September 14, 2007, Blogger yarnivorous said...

What a lovely trip! And what a fabulous haul! Love your pics, especially since we are a 2.5 hour plane ride from the sea. Sniffle!
One day I will visit the Old Blighty again and we can go crazy :-)

 
At 9:24 am, September 16, 2007, Blogger Kath said...

Are you trying to tempt us at all?! Do we need any help?! You've got me all excited at the very thought of all those goodies hidden away behind those inoccuous doors. Glad you had a good time - love the scenery shots. It is such a lovely drive from Colinette to Criccieth isn't it?

 
At 12:37 am, September 17, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip and came home with some great yarns!! I love Point 5 it is a great yarn to felt with! Happy knitting!

 
At 1:14 am, September 17, 2007, Blogger Joy said...

I am so looking forward to my Colinette Workshop - even more so now I have seen the lovely new yarn

I remember my first visit to Colinette - I was quite bowled over by the explosion of colour.

And I love your photos - Wales is my home, and I do so miss it.

 
At 6:54 am, September 17, 2007, Blogger Joy said...

I am sorry to come back and post again, but you put me in mind of the Robert Graves poem "Welsh Incident" - do you know it?

I heard a recording of Richard Burton reading it once, it was wonderful to hear his lovely lilting voice read this particular poem

"But that was nothing to what things came out
From the sea-caves of Criccieth yonder."
"What were they? Mermaids? dragons? ghosts?"
"Nothing at all of any things like that."

and so on......

 
At 3:50 pm, September 17, 2007, Blogger ikkinlala said...

Beautiful yarn, and what a gorgeous place to visit!

 
At 10:32 am, September 18, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

Sounds fabulous!!!

 
At 1:06 pm, September 18, 2007, Blogger Liz said...

Wow, what a perfect trip!! I love your yarn pictures, I'm thinking I need to go there.....soon!!!!

 
At 4:33 pm, September 18, 2007, Blogger Hawkesley said...

It looks like you had a lovely time there and bought some very yummy yarns too :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home