Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Entrelac scarf in Noro Kureyon



I love this scarf! Essential details:

Pattern: adapted Lady Eleanor Stole from Scarf Style
Yarn: Noro Kureyon
Shades: one skein each of 154, 164, 159, 157, 128, 138, in this order
Needles: 5mm bamboo straights
Finished size: 10 inches wide x 80 inches long
Pattern mods: four base triangles instead of seven



I started off with the Danica pattern from Knitty, and ended up frogging my first laborious attempt at the entrelac. Howver it did give me the general idea of how it worked, and once I picked up my copy of Scarf Style I found I could knit the rectangles and triangles a lot faster. In fact if you are thinking of trying entrelac this is a very well written pattern, and it makes it very easy to pick up the stitches each time, by slipping the first stitch of the decrease row - creating a nice selvedge. Entrelac looks incredibly difficult but once you've had a quick practice, it's easy to get the hang of. I found I didn't need to look at the pattern after a while as it's very logical.



There are more photos in my Flickr gallery. Each skein was knit in its entirety before starting the next - you can chop and change around every few tiers too. I used felted joins each time I started a new skein, and to rejoin yarn after removing the inevitable knots. Three skeins came from stash, and I initially only bought two more - then decided I needed a sixth! The scarf is lovely and warm and comfortable, it had a good soak first in Ecover wool wash, then in the fabric conditioner, and it does make quite a difference to the knitted fabric. I'm looking forward to some colder weather so I can wear this!

Finally, thank you so much to everyone who commented on my previous post, I am very touched! I do try to answer comments at some point, by the way, given the time constraints it's likely to be the next time I blog rather than right away - but I do try especially if someone is looking for a pattern link or a specific piece of information. of course, Blogger doesn't help as you can't directly email back, so if I can't track you down on your blog, I'll generally add something to my next post :-) I'm really looking forward to catching up with everyone on Ravelry - only around 1100 ahead of me today!

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At 8:17 pm, August 22, 2007, Blogger Terri said...

The scarf is lovely!!!! was the entrelac hard to do??

 
At 8:17 pm, August 22, 2007, Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Beautiful:) I love the colour changes , in fact I love it full stop:)))

 
At 8:31 pm, August 22, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

Oooh.. that is SO lovely! I'm scraping the barrel for reasons why I shouldn't dash off and start one of my own!

 
At 11:24 pm, August 22, 2007, Blogger Piglottie said...

DC its beautiful! I love it! The colours have come out perfectly as well. I might even be tempted to give Kureyon another go.

 
At 8:20 am, August 23, 2007, Blogger Helen said...

That looks great! I'm itching to do more entrelac, I loved doing my Lady Eleanor, but I'm trying to restrain myself until I've finished some of the things I have on the go. Plus I seem to have been bitten by a lace bug lately...

 
At 10:25 am, August 23, 2007, Blogger Donna said...

Wow, that is fantastic.

 
At 1:11 pm, August 23, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

yey for entrelac - that is very beautiful :)

 
At 2:48 pm, August 23, 2007, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Oh its so beautiful and great colours too :)

 
At 6:31 pm, August 23, 2007, Blogger Marlena said...

Gorgeous! I think that's best use of Kureyon I've seen. Each color really pops.

 
At 2:33 pm, August 24, 2007, Blogger shaz said...

I agree with Marlena; that really is a fantastic use of Noro. Stunning.

 
At 3:28 pm, August 25, 2007, Blogger Jo028 said...

WOW! that is fabulous, the colours blend into each other so well, I love it!

 
At 9:45 pm, August 25, 2007, Blogger belaybunny said...

wow, the scarf is beautiful, I love how the colours have come out.

 
At 9:59 pm, August 25, 2007, Blogger Modelwidow said...

What a lovely scarf, so bright and cheerful, you really have put the colours together well. I want one now.

 
At 5:17 pm, August 26, 2007, Blogger Rain said...

That looks amazing. It's a riot of colour but all fits in so well.

 
At 3:34 am, August 27, 2007, Blogger yarnivorous said...

oh boy! I gotta be a follower and make me one of those scarves! So pretty!

 
At 12:58 am, September 06, 2007, Blogger Joy said...

Oh that's just special.

 
At 4:43 pm, September 06, 2007, Blogger Daisy said...

Oh wow, it's gorgeous!!

 
At 11:28 pm, September 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's stunning. It's really made me want to try Entrelac.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home