Monday, June 11, 2007

Flair jacket

Flair was finished on Saturday, and the buttons sewn on yesterday. Modelled today as it's slightly cooler!







Pattern: Flair by Knit and Tonic
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas worsted dyed organic cotton, shade 620 Fern
Yardage: 6 full skeins plus a small amount of a seventh
Needles: main body Denise 4.5mm with 30" cord; Addi 4.5mm 16" needle for sleeves; Denise 4.5mm with shorter cord for collar

I do like how this has turned out. It fits nicely, has plenty of "swing", and the fabric is very soft and fluid. The BSA cotton does tend to shed and pill, as it's so soft though.

Pattern amendments:

- an extra buttonhole
- added several more increases plus some straight rows than the pattern called for before I separated off the sleeve stitches. I quite possibly added a little more than I needed but it doesn't show
- seed stitch band is 8 stitches, not 7, as I had a brain fart with the seven at first (dont ask!). Therefore the bottom band is also a tad deeper to match with the vertical one.
- body length below armholes is slightly longer than the pattern calls for, and this was just with knitting up to the last mandated increases (although I didn't do that last one). I find this a little odd as I was convinced that my row gauage was causing the buttonholes to be too close together at first.
- I made increases (M1) where the pattern called for decreases in the sleeves (thanks Sarah)
- I've only added buttons on the front placket. I didn't fancy my chances making the inner buttons "invisible", and simply added one and a loop at the inner top instead. It seems to hang well enough! The buttons are olive wood and were a good choice I think!

I originally bought 6 skeins of the BSA from kpixie, and only just went into a seventh for the collar alone, which I acquired swiftly from Loop GB. I ought to know by now that it's always wise to buy an extra skein!

As you can see from my ticker above, I'm stashalonging at the moment, basically for large projects (sweater size). To that end I've started Antoinette from Rowan 39, in a few days' worth of knitting I have the back complete and have almost finishedthe second front piece. This is knitted in Rowan Cotton Rope which is a bit awkward to cast on with at times, but knits up nicely into a soft fabric. The shade is Cyclamen, discontinued, obtained for 1.50 a ball at Cucumberpatch!



I also rejoined the Rowan club and this year's gift arrived. Four balls of All Seasons Cotton and 2 patterns, a waistcoat and a wrap. After some reports that the wrap pattern is slightly bizarre, I'm wondering about snagging an extra skein and making Smooch from the ASC book instead.



I'm on the last few days of the 4-week Food Doctor plan, still going well and I will certainly maintain the basic principles of this for the foreseeable future. I'm quite possibly addicted to porridge though!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 8:31 pm, June 11, 2007, Blogger gilraen said...

Flair looks fabulous on you, it is lovely. :)

 
At 8:41 pm, June 11, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

Flair looks great and it really suits you!

 
At 10:03 pm, June 11, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

I love how your Flair turned out. Very fetching - the buttons are a really great choice (I'm with you on the inside ones!)If only it was cooler to wear her!

 
At 12:47 am, June 12, 2007, Blogger Piglottie said...

Brain fart! roflmao!!! Flair is beautiful, despite any windage along the way :) I think it is so flattering and such a lovely shape and colour.

 
At 10:36 am, June 12, 2007, Blogger Jo028 said...

I love Flair on you, it fits great. The Cyclamen shade is far nicer in your picture than on c/patch, it will be lovely. The ASC is a fab colour too, right up my street :)

 
At 10:53 am, June 12, 2007, Blogger Kath said...

Great looking jacket - you certainly wear it with Flair! I'm sure you'll enjoy her in the autumn or those colder days! I love the colours of your new yarns - v nice - esspecially the All Seasons Cotton.

 
At 12:34 pm, June 12, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

Flair looks lovely on you ! Well done on the diet, porridge is lovely... with lots of brown sugar!

 
At 2:00 pm, June 12, 2007, Blogger Modelwidow said...

Flair looks very nice.
The All Seasons Cotton is my favourite colour, Smooch looks like a nice pattern too, they would go together well.

 
At 9:02 pm, June 12, 2007, Blogger T said...

Oh wow! It looks great on you, I love it :) And can I mention the hair again? LOL. Getting there!

Ah yes, Smooch is nice.

 
At 8:57 pm, June 13, 2007, Blogger Badger said...

Flair really does suit you :)

I'm guessing that your addicted to the healthy type of porridge, as opposed to the stuff I make with cream, sugar and golden syrup ;)

 
At 6:03 pm, June 14, 2007, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Flair looks great on you! I love the buttons you chose, too. Looking forward to seeing Antoinette as it progresses and I think that shade of ASC would make a fabulous Smooch!

 
At 10:52 pm, June 15, 2007, Blogger belaybunny said...

Great jacket. Good luck with the stashalong!! Love the colour of the ASC too.

 
At 2:30 pm, June 16, 2007, Blogger acrylik said...

Flair looks amazing and really looks great on you. Fantastic. Antoinette looks lovely, and the colour you have chosen is beautiful. Thanks for the reminder about Rowan, I shall have to renew my membership any day now I think. I do like the look of the free pattern they are giving out this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home