Sunday, April 29, 2007

Tank top in Twilleys Freedom Spirit



Pattern: Tank top from "Knitting" magazine
Yarn: Twilleys Freedom Spirit shade 501 "Soul"
Yardage: 5 balls plus a small amount of a sixth
Needles: Brittany birch 4mm, metal 3.5mm and Denise 4mm circular
Modifications: made the armholes slightly deeper

This was a nice easy knit, despite the pattern in the magazine having various parts missing - mostly near the end - but they were easily worked out. I also got to practice picking up a dropped stitch for the first time from about 5 inches down on the back piece. Not quite fully dropped, more of a hole with stitches above, so I unravelled that stitch back down and picked it back up with a crochet hook. I'm very pleased with my picking up of stitches on this piece for the neck an armholes too. I made sure to follow the same line and not deviate and it seems to have worked. I worked my decreases one stitch in from the end of the row in all cases too so you can see them on the arm curves and neck.

The pattern makes a long-line tank and has shaping to accomodate hips and waist. Not sure that the horizontal stripes are quite the most flattering thing on my figure at the moment, but here's a photo to show that it actually is a very good fit:



Now that I've scared you all, here's some lovely yarn to take your mind off it :-) This is Socrates 4ply from Violet Green, and is for a Shoalwater shawl. After seeing murdo's lovely WIP on the Crafty Threads forum I had to dig the pattern out, then I saw this which is named "Seascape":



I can't wait to get started with this. I should probably attempt to finish Spring Things first though. After some thought I decided I won't be doing the nupps on it though. KSH is not a yarn I would choose to work with again, it feels lovely but is so fine and fluffy I do have trouble handling it. After a few troubles with decreases I decided the last thing I want to do is invite disaster with p5tog! I'd attempt it happily with a different yarn though.

My Blue Sky Alpacas cotton arrived from kpixie yesterday, it took barely 6 days to reach me, and it's beautiful yarn. The picture doesn't do the green justice, it's more olive than it shows, but it does show some of the lustrous softness:



This is of course for Flair, and again I'm itching to get started!

After mandella's excellent review and hearing good things all round, I bought "No Sheep For You" by Amy Singer. I've been reading the first few chapters and have learnt a fair bit already about fibres (now I finally know what modal is!). The patterns I've looked at so far are lovely too.

I also picked up several Colinette pattern books for half price from the ongoing Knit Tin sale. I'd wanted Wayfarer in particular for a while so was happy to find it at a bargainous price.

Some great news this week for a knitblogger friend, Hazel's pattern for a beaded jacket is published in the current issue of Simply Knitting! It's a lovely 6-page spread and a very pretty piece indeed.

I'd also like to mention Sunflower Swifts and Sublime Spindles who now have a blog to showcase their wares. I bought my swift from them earlier this year and am very pleased with it, it's a beautiful piece of work.

Finally a mention to the lovely Piglottie who has an ongoing sale of her excellent hand-made cards, in aid of a friend's charitable trek. Please pop over and take a look!

Labels: , , ,

25 Comments:

At 7:35 pm, April 29, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

I love the tank top, the yarn is so nice isn't it. Your picture is not at all scary! I made teh Swallowtail shawl in 4 ply from Violet Green. The nupps were fine as long as I made loose stitches the row before to accomodate them.What is Modal?!

 
At 8:21 pm, April 29, 2007, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

The tank top does look great ; I keep admiring my daughters too :)
What yummy new yarns you have especially that Blue Sky alpaca, lovely sheen to it

 
At 8:27 pm, April 29, 2007, Blogger T said...

I think the tank is very flattering, you're looking lovely and shapely. Now you should have another!! :D

I can't wait to try some BSA cotton, it looks so gorgeous.

 
At 10:49 pm, April 29, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

Great tank top, lovely colours.

The BSA cotton looks as luscious as I know it is - good luck with Flair.

Thank you for the link to Sunflower Swifts - something for my birthday list there :)

 
At 1:43 am, April 30, 2007, Blogger Becky said...

Your tank looks great on you. It fits perfectly. The color is really nice, too.

You have lots of nice projects waiting in the wings!

 
At 10:31 am, April 30, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

The tank is lovely and really suits you - a perfect fit!

Love your purchases :)

 
At 12:41 pm, April 30, 2007, Blogger KnitYoga said...

The tank looks great on you - fits perfectly - and your yarn purchases are so yummy especially the Violet Green yarn!

 
At 5:36 pm, April 30, 2007, Blogger Sussex Yorkie said...

BSA, delicious. Tank Top looks brill too!

 
At 6:18 pm, April 30, 2007, Blogger acrylik said...

Ooooh, love the tank top!! It looks just fantastic!

Gorgeous yarns you bought there, that sheen on the kpixie yarn is beautiful.

 
At 7:59 pm, April 30, 2007, Blogger artyfartykat said...

The tank top is beautiful, love the colours.
Love the new yarns too, yummy!

 
At 3:17 am, May 01, 2007, Blogger Joy said...

I just love the tank top. You have some beautiful new yarn too.

 
At 10:38 am, May 01, 2007, Blogger Donna said...

The tank looks great, you've matches the colours on each side really well. Love your yarn purchases too.

 
At 12:06 am, May 02, 2007, Blogger gilraen said...

I love the tank top, lovely and summery looking on you :)

Nice Stash. :)

 
At 7:27 am, May 02, 2007, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Your tank looks absolutely fantastic! I love how the colours go along together, and you did such a great and really professional job picking up the stitches at the edges - I'm impressed indeed!
Oh, and that goodie yarn that you got - beautiful colours!!!

 
At 10:37 am, May 02, 2007, Blogger Kath said...

I do love that Freedom Spirit tank - not at all a scary photo! Great colours in that yarn too. Beautiful sheen on the Alpaca and I love the other new yarns as well - lucky you!

 
At 1:34 pm, May 02, 2007, Blogger yarnivorous said...

The tank top looks great on you! Very curvy :-)
Goodness, I shall live vicariously through your yarny habits :-)

 
At 1:24 pm, May 03, 2007, Blogger Piglottie said...

The tank top looks great! And I love the Violet Green yarn. I have some CTH Merino Lace to do Shoalwater with and am hoping to start in the next couple of months. And a huge thank you for advertising my charity card sale (I have some more to add soon) :)

 
At 5:39 am, May 04, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

That is a very lovely tank top! It looks like it fits perfectly. Very nice yarn haul!

 
At 12:59 pm, May 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the tanktop is fab - celebrate those curves!
Thanks for the link to Violet Green - there goes this months savings!lol!! You picked a beautiful colourway - dreamy!

 
At 7:42 pm, May 06, 2007, Blogger Daisy said...

The tank top looks great - you've got me all inspired now to start with my Freedom Spirit!

 
At 8:52 am, May 07, 2007, Blogger Jo028 said...

I love your tank. I appreciate the matching stripes either side of the neck too ;)

 
At 9:33 pm, May 07, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

I love the tank top, it looks really good. I think the stripes are really pretty and seem to really show off how much your waist goes in.

 
At 2:43 pm, May 10, 2007, Blogger Rain said...

That looks lovely on you. I love the way the Twilley's knits up and you did a great job on matching the fronts. I'm getting quite envious of your gorgeous stash acquisitions of late.

 
At 8:00 pm, May 10, 2007, Blogger Badger said...

Gorgeous tank, the fit is great. I'm another one who's loving the Blue Sky alpaca, it's so pretty.

 
At 5:10 pm, May 13, 2007, Blogger Lyndsey-Jane said...

Love the tank top - i'm knitting a tank top in Freedom Spirit but in the earth colourway. I'm using the pattern from the Freedom spirit book which is knit flat but i figure as there is no sleeves seaming won't be too bad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home