Sunday, April 22, 2007

More of the same

The temptation to cast on more WIPs is ever-present, and I've several things in mind that I'd like to start, but this week I've persevered with my two current main projects. The tank top is almost up to the neckline of the front piece and I'm hoping to finish the main knitting on that this coming week.

I've been doing one repeat per day so far (two yesterday) on the KSH shawl. I pick it up when I get home from work and complete a repeat in good daylight. Last night I did a repeat late on under the worklamp and even with a daylight bulb it was more difficult to see, the yarn becomes rather shiny and since it's not that dark a colour to start with, tends to merge with the needles!

There have been one or two kerfuffles along the way. The first was something strange occurring on a purl row (you'd think I'd save my gaffes for the lace rows!) and I had to readjust the number of stitches. This worked well, then at some point I forgot the last purl row of a repeat so I have a small section "back to front"! Again I don't think this will be particularly noticeable once the shawl is blocked, one thing about KSH is that it is actually strangely forgiving about mistakes of this nature, the fabric is so open and cobwebby. I was fighting off some form of cold bug most of last week too and it did make me rather slower than usual at knitting, and probably accounts for the missed purl row too! One night I could hardly face even the tank top knitting so it must have been affecting my faculties :-)

Here it is at 10 repeats out of 13 of chart A (now completed 11):



I'm using straights as I found these very good for the Forest Canopy shawl, and given I'm using KSH it does make it easier to handle for me. I'm looking at acquiring some Addi lace circular needles though. These seem to have rave reviews, and this US-based shop will apparently ship needle-only orders free to the UK. I also found Loop GB carry them but currently they are all listed as out of stock.

After seeing Sarah's post about the Blue Sky Alpaca cotton, way back in March (heading towards two months ago now) I finally decided I would order some to make Flair. See how I resisted temptation for So Long ;-) I ordered from kpixie, who do indeed give you a lovely 10% off voucher which can be used against your first order if you so wish. Even with postage this still comes out to less than I would be able to buy it for in the UK. I've ordered the Fern shade, which should go with quite a lot of things in my wardrobe.

This week the postie brought me this lovely goth pin from Hazel, these will soon be available from Knitz & Glitz.



It goes beautifully with my shawl, thanks again Hazel!

I've just finished reading Empress Orchid by Anchee Min. This is a very interesting look at the life of a concubine in the Forbidden City, during the time of the Opium Wars. It is based on real people and events and at times is quite terrifying as you see the constraints and the dangers that Orchid faces. I enjoyed the story but found the style rather disjointed at times. I've just started "Persuasion", one of Jane Austen's novels that I have have not read before, and by contrast it is a sheer delight to read. Having been obliged to read "Pride and Prejudice" for O-level and not enjoying it at all at the time (who could enjoy dissecting a book), in more recent years I have hugely enjoyed reading Jane Austen's work. P&P is one of my favourite books of all time.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At 5:39 pm, April 22, 2007, Blogger Piglottie said...

The shawl is looking stunning and I admire your deftness with KSH. Hazel's pin goes perfectly with it! Hope you are feeling better now :)

 
At 7:39 pm, April 22, 2007, Blogger acrylik said...

Wow, your shawl is looking amazing! I love KSH, and you are right, it is really forgiving.

The pin from Hazel is fantastic!

Hope you're feeling much better now.

 
At 8:13 am, April 23, 2007, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

The shawl looks fab and a great colour . I have some black KSH I am hoping to make into a shawl one day and was hoping my Daylight lamp would help !!?
I too have had kerfuffles this week in my knitting , nuff said :(
I love those shawl pins off Hazel ,I did check the other day if she had them for sale yet !!

 
At 8:50 am, April 23, 2007, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

What a very gorgeous shawl this is - absolutely stunning!

 
At 9:50 am, April 23, 2007, Blogger KnitYoga said...

The shawl is progressing well and looking lovely. KSH can be a pain but the finished result is definitely worth it! Although I modelled the Goth Pin on my KSN River wrap, I think the combination of the bone stick pin and the polymer clay decorative end would, realistically, make it a tad too heavy to wear with anything really light and airy such as KSH.

 
At 10:27 am, April 23, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

The shawl is looking lovely. I'm ful of admiration for anyone who can use KSH without having a breakdown!

 
At 7:32 pm, April 23, 2007, Blogger artyfartykat said...

The shawl looks fantastic! I've not tried KSH yet, not sure if I want to after everyones comments!
The Goth pin is just brilliant, it will certainly create a stir when you wear it!

 
At 7:59 pm, April 23, 2007, Blogger Daisy said...

The shawl looks lovely!!
Thanks for the book review too. I know what you mean about P & P. I did Wuthering Heights for A Level and still can't bear to pick it up

 
At 10:03 pm, April 23, 2007, Blogger Paula said...

The shawl looks great and the colour is lovely.
Having read Empress Orchid, I know what you mean about the style of the writing. I had previously read Marina Warner's biography of the woman the story is based on (The Dowanger Empress) and the biography is a much better read.

 
At 9:16 am, April 24, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

The shawl pin is lovely, and the shawl is coming along well. I can't seem to pick up my lace at the mo so I might do what you are with a repeat a day just to keep it ticking along!

 
At 9:48 am, April 24, 2007, Blogger belaybunny said...

the shawl is looking very lovely, and I like the shawl pin too.

 
At 8:37 pm, April 24, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

Great shawl coming on there.

Hope you have your Blue Skys cotton soon, I'm really enjoying mine and can't wait to see your Flair.

 
At 10:33 am, April 25, 2007, Blogger Donna said...

Hi DC, I love the goth pin!!

Do you subscribe to Yarn Forward? The new issue is out but I haven't had mine yet and wondered if you'd had yours?

 
At 4:42 pm, April 27, 2007, Blogger T said...

I can't even imagine knitting that KSH - hats off to you! Loving the pin :D

 
At 8:57 am, April 28, 2007, Blogger Joy said...

Your shawl is looking beautiful. I'm pleased to see you are using straight - I've started on a FC shawl with straights wondering "should" I get circulars so for now I'll carry on.

I haven't started my KSH yet - i keep looking longingly at it mind.

 
At 2:46 pm, April 28, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Your shawl looks amazing! I have never used KSH I'll have to check it out one of these days . That is a great pin from Hazel.Hope you are feeling better now!

 
At 10:02 am, April 29, 2007, Blogger Badger said...

The shawl is looking lovely, and is a gorgeous colour.

 
At 5:59 pm, April 29, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

The shawl is looking lovely. I'm on the look out for some of those lace addis too, so thanks for the info on where to get them.

 
At 2:41 pm, May 10, 2007, Blogger Rain said...

Hope your cold has cleared by now. I love the colour of the KSH, thank goodness you don't have to undo it. The goth pin is so cute and will look great with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home