Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Skully's almost there

The past week or so has been all about finishing off Skully. Plenty of ends to weave in from the intarsia, then the mattress stitch seaming. Finally it is seamed, washed, and now drying (I finished knitting on March 2nd and seaming on the 3rd):





As I found with the recent hat, Yorkshire Tweed softens up considerably with washing. The sweater is drying on one of the 2-tier drying racks from Lakeland, well worth the investment. It's such a wide sweater that the arms are resting on the lower mesh layer. I suspect it will take a wee while to dry though!

I've tried the sweater on and it does fit, so expect some form of modelled photos on the next update. My next sweater project is the Glampyre Simple Knitted Bodice:



The yarn is Jaeger Shetland Aran, 80% merino, 20% alpaca. I knitted a swatch last night and found I can get the gauge with the suggested needles. However the lace section is a different matter, the upper part of the swatch was worked on 3.5mm, then 3.25mm, needles, and still isn't near the suggested gauge. However, Rain has kindly pointed me towards the Craftster thread on this pattern and it is very useful. It appears that no-one is able to obtain this gauge in stockinette, unlikely really given this is an aran weight yarn. I'm just going to use the recommended needles and I think it will be fine. The pattern itself is already knitted at a slightly smaller gauge than normal for the yarn, which seems to be because the original yarn called for is liable to stretch.

The pretty dragonfly button in the photo is from the lovely Hazel at Knitz and Glitz, this was actually a runner-up prize in an informal quiz a few of us had. Thank you Hazel!

Thanks also go to T who obviously knows me far too well, and sent me this, isn't it great!



We've had some sad news today, our elderly gerbil Xander passed away last night, very peacefully. He was somewhat frail but very active right until the end. We buried him next to his brother Oz, who died in summer 2005. Sleep well Xander, we'll miss you.

Not to leave you on a sombre note, I've been tagged by Donna (fellow SKB KAL-er!) for a books meme:

1. Find the nearest book - OK, as I said to Donna when first tagged, the nearest book to me here at the PC is "Breeding and Caring For Chinchillas", which I'm NOT going to be sharing here! (I don't breed them BTW, it's just an older reference book I spotted cheap at a local pet shop). The nearest "proper" book is:

2. Name the book & the author - "The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien (there is also a Blake's 7 fanzine, "Varia Lectio", but it doesn't have enough pages to participate).

3.Turn to page 123. - part way through chapter VII, "Queer Lodgings"

4. Go to the 5th sentence on the page & copy out the next three sentences onto your blog - "Come and have some more!" So they all went to breakfast with him. Beorn was most jolly for a change; indeed he seemed to be in a splendidly good humour and set them all laughing with his funny stories; nor did they have to wonder long where he had been or why he was so nice to them, for he told them himself.

5. Tag 3 more people. - I won't tag anyone as more than likely they will already have been tagged - if you want to do the meme consider yourself tagged!


I was also tagged a while ago for a meme about children's books, which I promptly forgot about, and can't now remember who tagged me! I think it was to do with books you remember from your childhood. The one set of books that I remember with great affection are those illustrated books by !Richard Scarry. The watermelon is legendary, in my mind at least.

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 6:31 pm, March 06, 2007, Blogger acrylik said...

Skully is looking excellent! So much hard work has gone into your jumper. Looking forward to seeing some modelled pics soon.

I wasn't able to get gauge for the lace part of the SKB either, like you say, it's going to be hard with that weight yarn anyway. My yarn doesn't have too much give in it, so I'm not too fussed if I'm under.

Just love the skull pin from Tina - how cool!

 
At 9:47 pm, March 06, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

I love the colour you are using for you SKB. I have the pattern but haven't managed to get round to it yet so I'll be following the progress of your KAL with interest.

I'm sorry to hear about Xander. It's always sad to lose a pet even if they have had a long life.

 
At 9:53 pm, March 06, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

Skully looks really great - and a skull pin to match what more could you ask for?

Thanks for the note about the Lakeland rack - I was looking at the pic wondering where it came from as it is so perfect for the job.

I think the kpixie offer is a permanent one for any new customers - nice hey?

 
At 11:02 pm, March 06, 2007, Blogger Donna said...

Skully looks really good, and I love the colour you have chosen for the SKB. The dragonfly button is so cute too. I managed to get gauge on 5mm and 3.25mm with my yarn but I'm using 2 strands of a fingering weight yarn from the USA. I shall follow your progress with anticipation.

 
At 1:25 am, March 07, 2007, Blogger blog-blethers said...

What a fantastic Skully! Hope its drying out well and to see modelled pics soon. Love the pin too. Am always amazed at the range of great finishings that have become available over recent years. Part of the reason I am so pleased to be a born-again knitter!

So sorry to hear about Xander ... its always horrible to lose a pet as they become part of the family

 
At 1:34 am, March 07, 2007, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Alas poor Xander! (A moment of silence follows)

Skully's looking good!
I have some of those sweater racks but mine are singles and you just stack them. (And they were $3 from a hardware shop!!!)

 
At 1:04 pm, March 07, 2007, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Oh the frustarting bit , waiting for a FO to dry; it's looking good:)
I too love the colour you are using for SKB I also have the pattern but can't decide what yarn to use for it
So sorry about your loss ; thats' the downside of having pets and I dread the day that anything would happen to one of mine but they brng so much joy to me I couldn't imagine life without a dog at the very least

 
At 2:59 pm, March 07, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

Sorry to hear about Xander :(

Skully looks superb - great yarn choice. I also really like the colour you picked for SKB.

THe skull from T is excellent.

 
At 3:04 pm, March 07, 2007, Blogger artyfartykat said...

Skully looks fab! Love the colour you've chosen for SKB too. I love the pattern, are you having long or short sleeves?
Sorry to hear about your loss of Xander. Pets become so much a part of the family, its the worst bit of being an animal lover and so hard to deal with. I'm sure he had a wonderful life in your care.

 
At 6:54 pm, March 07, 2007, Blogger Rain said...

I'm sorry to hear about Xander.

Skully looks fab, I bet it looks great on. The colour for your SKB is very pretty.

 
At 12:20 pm, March 08, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

So sorry to hear about Xander.x
Skully looks great and the skull pin is cool!
The colour of the yarn for SKB looks great. I will be interested to see how that goes as I love the pattern and need to decide whether to knit it. (not that I havn't got a million other things I want to knit!)

 
At 2:21 pm, March 08, 2007, Blogger Badger said...

Skully looks great.

I keep wanting to get started on the SKB, but I just think I've got too many projects on the go at once. The colour for yours looks lovely :)

 
At 7:01 pm, March 09, 2007, Blogger T said...

I'm so sorry you lost Xander but I'm pleased that he was active 'til the end.
I love Skully - it looks so cosy and yummy :D The weaving in of ends seems to take forever, been doing that this week. Just when you think you have them all there's another :P
Mmm, that swatch is pretty. Love the colour and I'm sure I can see the alpaca in it.
Isn't the dragonfly button a beauty?
Richard Scarry is great. My RS book has '1966' written inside the cover by my Mum :D

 
At 9:54 pm, March 09, 2007, Blogger belaybunny said...

sorry to hear about your gerbil, they are such lovely creatures.

I love skully, it's looking great. And yes, I'm found too that YT takes forever to dry ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home