Saturday, March 10, 2007

Skully sweater, and Dashing part one

At last, a washed, blocked and dried (which took several days!) Skully:



(click for larger image)



Pattern: Skully from Stitch 'n' Bitch
Yarn: Rowan Yorkshire Tweed Chunky in "Damp"; Lamb's Pride Bulky in "Creme"
Yardage: approx. 9.5 balls of Yorkshire Tweed; around one third of a skein of LP Bulky
Needles: Brittany 6.5mm birch and Denise 6.5mm for neckband

Although the yardage of the YT is the same as the original pattern yarn (Lamb's Pride Bulky) it took another couple of skeins over and above that quoted. I guess that could be for any number of reasons! This is an easy knit even with the intarsia. The latter is at its fiddliest on the skull's face, and I have to say the second sleeve turned out a lot neater than the first after I'd found my bearings.

It's a very comfy sweater and will be great for me to wear around the house in the winter - it's VERY cosy! I'm pleased with this as it's my first real sweater for many years, and it fits (no mean feat LOL!).

I don't have much progress to report as yet on the SKB. I've cast on and completed the first set of rows, but firstly tiredness, then some "emergency" knitting, have prevented me getting any further with it. I'll post a picture as soon as I've got to a reasonable point in the proceedings, likely to be where the arm stitches are sectioned off.

My emergency knitting has been the wonderful new pattern on Knitty, Dashing. These (along with a hat) are for a friend's mum who I've found out hasn't been too well over the winter. I'm using Noro Silver Thaw shade 9, gifted to me by the lovely T. I finished the first glove last night and I love the pattern:





The cables are rather obscured with the multicoloured, slightly slubby yarn, but these are great, super-long wristers and the yarn is lovely to wear even before blocking. The thumb seemed to work out much neater and better fitting than on the Fetchings I've made, but I suspect this is partly due to the softer stretchier yarn I'm using.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 5:36 pm, March 10, 2007, Blogger T said...

OMG Skully is lovely! If only I wasn't knitting three jumpers already I would start one today ;) It's a cracker, well done, and look at your hair growing too!!
The Dashings are dashing, love them. They'll keep your friend's mum lovely and warm.

 
At 6:15 pm, March 10, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

Skully looks fabulous! Love the Dashings too!

 
At 9:43 am, March 11, 2007, Blogger acrylik said...

Yay, Skully looks amazing! Certainly looks lovely and cosy.

The Dashings look fantastic, I love the yarn you chose to knit them in.

Looking forward to seeing your SKB in progress.

 
At 2:16 pm, March 11, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

Scully is lovely - very impressive. I love the new fingerless gloves too.

 
At 4:16 pm, March 11, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

Skully is great and looks a lovely, cosy sweater!

 
At 9:40 am, March 12, 2007, Blogger Joy said...

Skully is wonderful, it looks so cosy and a great fit, and your intarsia work is great too - something I haven't done for years!!

I have to confess to preferring "Dashing" to "Fetching".

 
At 5:55 pm, March 13, 2007, Blogger Rain said...

Skully looks fab on you, it looks really cosy. I love your Dashings too, the yarn is lovely.

 
At 11:32 pm, March 18, 2007, Blogger inukshuk71 said...

Loooove the Skully sweater and the Noro Dashing mitts. Lovely and original :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home