Saturday, February 10, 2007

This week's projects

I have two more hats to show you, then I am taking a little break from hats, promise :-)

First is DH's hat in Rowan Yorkshire Tweed Chunky, shade Damp.



This took one plus a small amount of a second ball. The photo is pre-blocking, I have just washed it and it is now blocking over the glass head (Holly's bigger cousin). I'll be interested in how it looks when dry, as I was able to smooth the crown out quite flat. Good news that DH likes the hat!

Here's another 3am cable hat made in Posh Yarn Sophia 6-ply (cashmere) DK, shade Moth. I had a small amount of yarn left over from the 55g skein, which I'm not sure would have stretched to another full pattern repeat. The hat is a little bit short for me, so will be gifted to our niece.



I adapted the pattern to DK by adding another 12-stitch repeat (108 stitches) on 4mm needles. I'd say this needs at least two more full pattern repeats after those mandated by the pattern, I did one extra. However one skein of this yarn would be fine for a non-cabled hat I think.

Next up is the lovely wooden swift I received this week from Sublime Spindles:



Modelling a skein of Posh Yarn Helena DK "Jitterbug", this is a superb piece of work. The arms fold up vertically for storage, and the pegs are simply put into the relevant holes for the size of skein. I found it a lot easier to load the yarn onto this than onto the umbrella swift. To contact Sublime Spindles directly regarding swifts, drop spindles etc., you can email Moorec648 AT aol.com.

I've acquired a pile of pattern books in the last week or two. I now have Rowan 30 to 41, barring book 33 (I already had 37 onwards). Rowan themselves have a great offer at the moment, books 31, 32, 34 and 35 for ten pounds for all four. They also have three other books for 7.50 total - Cotton Rope, Beach Cool and All Seasons Cotton.

I've also bought A Season's Tale and A Yorkshire Fable from The Book Depository, highly recommended for their prices and service. I decided my first foray into Fair Isle / stranded knitting would be the beret featured on the cover of AYF. It is knit flat, which I felt might be easier for a first project that knitting in the round. I want to make the Endpaper Mitts so this should be good practice. To this end I've got a selection of Yorkshire Tweed 4ply colours from Jannette.



I also bought Debbie Bliss' new book, Summer Essentials. It contains the perfect pattern for the black Cathay originally bought for Sgt. Pepper, a sleeveless polo-style top:



There's also a pretty short-sleeved cardigan that would be a good project for the bargain lilac Cathay I got last year. I'm now going to make an effort to knit from my stash as I have a lot of PIWs! I'm not banning myself from buying yarn as sometimes offers are simply too good to pass up but I'll try to rationalise what I buy for a while. Minneimoll's latest posting about her stash really did make me think about mine!

ETA - Life On Mars is back for series 2 next Tuesday. Much cheering here! Inspired by Seahorse I have made a Gene button to celebrate, if you'd like to use it on your own blog feel free!

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 7:26 pm, February 10, 2007, Blogger T said...

Love both the hats, they're both such nice yarns, and the new swift is smashing.
Knitting from stash will be great if you can, and probably a lot more sensible than my threatened yarn moratorium ;)
It's hard to imagine wearing sleeveless tops again isn't it? I like that pattern book.

 
At 9:08 pm, February 10, 2007, Blogger Lindsey said...

The hats are great, but a shade called DAMP??!! Weirder and weirder.

RE: colourwork. I've done it flat and in the round, and round can be much much easier than flat, depending on the pattern.In fact, I'm kinda dubious about working colour flat because I liked working it in the round so much more.

 
At 9:32 pm, February 10, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

Brilliant button!

The hats are great - nice to see some 'Damp' knitted up. You've bought some fab stuff - I think just about all of it is things I have already or are on my wishlist!

 
At 11:06 pm, February 10, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

I love the hats especially the cabled one. Reading your blog always makes me want to go shopping!

You're the second person this week who has reccommended the Book Depository, so I'm definitely going to have a look now!

By the way I've just finished the Endpaper Mitts and I love them. They are really nice to knit.

 
At 11:24 am, February 11, 2007, Blogger acrylik said...

I always love looking at your hats, I think they're amazing.

The swift looks just beautiful and you can see it is a wonderful piece of workmanship.

You have bought some lovely things! Looking forward to hearing more about your colourwork.

 
At 6:13 pm, February 11, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

More great hats, plenty of the Damp to keep ears very warm and the cabled one is very pretty.

This week I ordered those 4 Rowan magazines - seems like an offer too good to turn down. Have also just ordered Sensational Knitted Socks from The Book Depository as they had it cheapest in the UK so glad to hear they are good.

 
At 12:14 am, February 12, 2007, Blogger blog-blethers said...

Love the hats - especially the one is the soft pinky muted shades! And just in time for this cold weather at the moment. And what lovely knitty purchases - just what's needed at this time of the year!

 
At 4:42 am, February 12, 2007, Blogger Silvia said...

Love the Hats. You really are a 'Mad hatter'!!!
A YArn Swift something that is still missing in my Household!!!

 
At 10:44 am, February 12, 2007, Blogger Rain said...

It sounds like you've got some great projects lined up. The beret sounds like the perfect first FI project. What a sensible looking swift.

 
At 8:11 pm, February 12, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

Brilliant hats .. and thank you for the info on Life on Mars. I loved that series!

 
At 12:44 pm, February 13, 2007, Blogger artyfartykat said...

The hats are fab but I've fallen in love with the swift!
Hope you enjoy your purchases! :)

 
At 6:39 am, February 14, 2007, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Did I ever mention that you're the queen of the hat-knitters? Yours are the most beautiful ones, that's for sure - and I'm not exaggerating here! The first one looks ever so soft and warm, and I'm totally impressed by the cabling in the second! Very gorgeous!
The Endpaper Mitts and the Beret you're planning to do really seem to be perfect to be getting a bit more practise in colourwork - I've been struggling so much with that (colourwork) lately and will yet have to find a project where I can practise... and try... and not getting a hysterical fit with ;)

 
At 1:09 pm, February 14, 2007, Blogger Piglottie said...

Love the hats, especially the Moth one (gorgeous colourway). I've also just received one of Claire's swifts - excellent workmanship and wool winding is now a pleasure not a chore!

Am very tempted by the Rowan offer, as its such a bargain. And the Endpaper Mitts are so lovely, I would love to give them a go but still not plucked up enough courage to dip my toe in the water of colourwork.

 
At 11:02 am, February 15, 2007, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Lovely hats. Great stuff you have bought and I have bought lots off Book Depositry also :)

 
At 10:36 pm, February 16, 2007, Blogger Daisy said...

OH wow, love the hats and your swift looks really cool!

 
At 12:12 pm, February 22, 2007, Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

I'm a first timer to your lovely blog. You have so much on the go.

Gorgeous hats. Love "Life on Mars" too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home