Saturday, January 27, 2007

3am cable hat in Cotton Fleece

This weeks finished knit is the 3am cable hat! Please excuse the more obvious flash in this week's photos, it has been a bit of a dull day here and I left it later than I should to take pictures.



Pattern: 3am cable hat by S.M. Khan
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece, shade Olive
Yardage: around half a skein (this skein made a Blanche hat as well as this one).
Needles: 4.5mm Addi 12"

This was a lovely and very quick pattern to knit, I finished it in two evenings. This is another hat for Caps for a Cure. The Cotton Fleece is fabulous yarn to knit with, it's definitely on my list for a garment one day.

I've almost finished the back piece of Skully, I know a swathe of stockinette isn't the most entertaining photo in the world, but I took one anyway :-)



I've ordered the Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky in cream for the skulls, there are also plans afoot to make a hat with any remaining yarn.

A few skeins of yarn (cough) have made their way here this week too. I placed an order with Elann before Christmas and chose surface mail, it arrived this week and had only taken 5 weeks to reach me. It's Elann Peruvian Highland Wool, the price has to be seen to be believed and it's a good substitute for Cascade 220. With the dollar to pound ratio currently at almost 2:1 it's an excellent time to buy yarn from the US and Canada! This is 1297 Admiral Blue and Nutmeg (currently o/s), intended for a book!Ravenclaw scarf. The right colours are hard to find over here, especially in an affordable but blockable yarn.



I also bought the yarn for Odile from Rowan 38. A few of us intend to make this and we had not noticed this pattern at all until we saw some actual knitted examples - there's one here. Rowan Plaid is currently discounted at some stores as I believe it has been discontinued, I got mine from Cucumberpatch in Lavender Mist. The other yarn is Kid Classic in Crystal and Royal which is from Jannette.



Cucumberpatch also have 2 shades of Rowan Cotton Rope reduced to 1.50 per ball, so I snagged enough to make another project, Antoinette from Rowan 39. I've admired this for a while, I got the Cyclamen shade which is a lovely bright pink - the flash has made it slightly luminous here!



I have a few more things to show but they will have to wait until tomorrow, as I need daylight to take photos!

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 7:29 pm, January 27, 2007, Blogger Seahorse said...

The hat is lovely!

You've made some fab purchases. I love your 'Odile' colours. I'm finding it a real struggle not to start mine but I'm trying to be less of a goldfish and actually finish things this year :0

Skully looks gorgeous in that yarn!

 
At 7:34 pm, January 27, 2007, Blogger acrylik said...

Your hat looks beautiful, really lovely pattern.

Wow, you have made some great purchases recently! I really like the colours you have chosen for "Odile", I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with that, it looks to be a great pattern.

 
At 8:18 pm, January 27, 2007, Blogger Badger said...

The hat is gorgeous, I love the way the pattern and yarn work so well together'

 
At 8:43 pm, January 27, 2007, Blogger artyfartykat said...

The hat looks fab, love the colour!
Someone has been busy stash building!

 
At 11:11 pm, January 27, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

The hat is lovely. I love the Rowan patterns you've chosen (and the colours).

 
At 6:12 am, January 28, 2007, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Oh boy, there is more to see? Golly.
Hmm I might have to knit one of those hats. Or a few...
I should get my shop up to date and add some stuff that I am about to dye :-)

 
At 8:16 am, January 28, 2007, Blogger Linda said...

Lovely new yarns you have! I have often looked at Elann stuff and wondered how long it would take to come. The cabled hat is nice.

 
At 9:33 am, January 28, 2007, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Oh, what a beautiful hat this is! Thanks so much for sharing the link, I've already printed it out and will try it too!
And yummy, that's some goodie yarn that you got for yourself - and your colour choices are the most beautiful ones once more!

 
At 10:54 am, January 28, 2007, Blogger Silvia said...

Love the Hat!! And some nice stocking stich can look entertaining if the mood is right. I am having great trouble not to start Odile and leave everything else. I am realy tempted to buy some more Plaid ..just because and incase I don't like what I have..and of course because it is there!!!

 
At 11:02 am, January 28, 2007, Blogger MandellaUK said...

I really like that hat as it has no resemblance whatsoever to a tea cosy!

I've got some of the Elann Peruvian Highland wool in stash and it is really nice to knit with - not that I've done more than a couple of swatches with it. The colour range is indeed absolutely fantastic.

 
At 12:03 pm, January 28, 2007, Blogger T said...

Love that hat and I need some Cotton Fleece now!
Go Skully!
Where's my Highland Wool? I'm panicking slightly now. Another beautiful Odile to come, how shall I resist when you're all at it? :D
Lovely shade of Cotton Rope and it will make a beautiful Antoinette. You have a lot to look forward to!

 
At 10:30 am, February 12, 2007, Blogger Rain said...

You stash enhancer you! I'm looking forward to seeing skully. The stuff from Elann is gorgeous. I'm kicking myself for not ordering some when we were discussing it. Your Odile is going to look gorgeous in those yarns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home