Friday, October 06, 2006

Garlic bread - it's the future

Short of any form of witty title for this somewhat delayed posting, I turn to "Phoenix Nights" for inspiration :-)

I was all set to blog last weekend. I'd finished a hat the previous Sunday (that's nearly two weeks ago now) but it needed washing and blocking before being photographed. However I was also working on another project which shall remain secret just for now, so waited to block both together. Without further ado, here's the hat:



Pattern: Lace Edged Hat by Julie M. Hentz
Yarn: RYC Cashsoft DK
Yardage: around three quarters of one 50g skein
Needles: 4.5mm 12" Addis (pattern suggests 4mm)

This is my September hat for Caps for a Cure. I decided to go with a slightly larger needle size in case the hat turned out too snug, it's fine and doesn't actually cover the eyes on a person, in case anyone was wondering! The head form is not quite to scale for an adult human head. I also did only two repeats of the lace pattern rather than three.

Next up, I've been working on my Bergere de France jacket this week. One front edge is complete and I'm half way through the second. I've turned the completed one back on itself to give an idea of how it will look when hemmed:



All of the cream edgings are folded double and hemmed on the right side when finishing. Just the hood to do after this then it's down to the seaming.

Here's some gorgeous yarn that arrived recently, Twilleys Freedom Spirit in Fire:



I'm still waiting for the pattern book, I'm planning to make the shrug/bolero with this yarn.

Speaking of yarn, I've embarked on a small yarn diet. No yarn to be bought for the month of October. Hopefully I can continue that into November too. It does give me a chance to knit up all sorts of projects without trying to fill the house with yarn at the same time!

Hopefully some of you listen to Carrie Anne's excellent BritKnitCast. If you do you'll know that in the episode before the current one, she was talking about her new loom. I'd already seen the first items to come off the loom on her blog, and they looked fantastic. Listening to the podcast convinced me that a loom would be a great acquisition and a whole new area of fibre arts to learn.

I've been interested in spinning for some time having seen many many bloggers who both knit and spin. However we are a bit short of floor space here, and a wheel with all its accoutrements wouldn't really have a "home", we'd end up falling over it! It also seems to be quite a learning curve to spin yarns well, and adding together my limited free time plus some coordination/dexterity issues, it isn't something I'll be taking up any time soon.

To cut a long story short, I ordered a 60cm Ashford Rigid Heddle Loom from P&M Woolcraft, and it arrived around 36 hours after ordering, how's that for speedy service! The loom comes with a 10DPI heddle (suitable for DK yarn), and I ordered a 7.5DPI heddle for aran weight as well. Sadly I didn't have time to wax and assemble it last weekend, but I'm determined to do that this weekend. Here's the loom in its box, it has been unpacked and checked then put back in the box:



There is a nice welcome pack included, with a copy of the Ashford knitting/weaving/spinning magazine, and various documentation. There is even a piece of sandpaper should you need to smooth any sharp edges! From what I've seen the wood is beautifully finished and unlikely to need the attentions of the sandpaper.

Hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of the assembled loom some time this weekend :-)

As to the fate of the KSH scarf - it has been frogged and I will make it in garter stich this time! Thanks to Mary Lou for the insight - no, I don't really like moss stitch, especially with yarn so fine :-) Also frogged this week was Sgt Pepper. In common with several others I just didn't like the fabric the Cathay gives at the stated tension. Any suggested projects for the black Cathay (9 or 10 skeins) gratefully received. I'm sure I'll find something for it.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At 7:56 pm, October 06, 2006, Blogger T said...

Yay for a 'Phoenix Nights' reference. I can go to bed happy now :D
The hat's smashing and looks so soft.
The BdF jacket is looking so lovely. It'll be a real fave I'm sure.
I'm slurping at your Freedom Spirit. I ordered 'Air' and 'Essence' but I love all the colours.
It's great to have the loom assembly to look forward to this weekend, and I can't wait to see what you do with it!
What can I say about Sgt. Pepper? Nothing without swearing ;o)

 
At 8:48 pm, October 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That's for the hat, the jacket and that gorgeous yarn. Almost too much gorgeousness in one post.

I'm not sure exactly what a loom does. I mean, I suppose it weaves but what do you make with it? Looks interesting anyway.

Good idea on the KSH and Sgt Pepper front. That will put your mind at rest. I really detest that moss stitch too. K1P1 driving me blooming mad.

 
At 9:26 pm, October 06, 2006, Blogger Becky said...

Beautiful hat! I had to switch browsers to view it -- weird! The jacket is cool. Can't wait to see it finished.

Gorgeous yarn, exciting new loom... life is good at your house. : )

 
At 10:17 pm, October 06, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the hat! The color is so soft. That Jacket looks great! I can't wait to see it done! I love the new yarn! Good luck with your yarn diet!

 
At 8:42 am, October 07, 2006, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

I'm always so stunned by the amazingly pretty caps/hats you're doing - this one looks particularly gorgeous! The same goes for the jacket, it's coming along so fine and I can't wait to see the finished one, it's going to be a beauty! And yay for the yarn, these colors are a feast for the eyes!

 
At 9:20 am, October 07, 2006, Blogger Seahorse said...

"It just came to me in a dream, like St. Paul on the road to Domestos."

Lol - love Phoenix Nights here too :)

The hat is great. Well done on the frogging - we're meant to be having fun.

The loom looks fabulous. Can't wait to see it up and running!

 
At 11:49 am, October 07, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Hurrah for Phoenix Nights!

Your cap looks just gorgeous and it was good to see an update on your Bergere de France jacket. It's coming along really well.

Good luck with the yarn diet! Isn't the Twilleys lovely? I can't wait to get started on mine.

Good luck with the loom assembly this weekend - can't wait to see what you create!

 
At 4:54 pm, October 07, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Garlic? Bread?

The hat is incredibly pretty. I like how the bergere de france jacket is coming out.

Oooooh a loom, can't wait to see what you make.

 
At 11:19 pm, October 07, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Ah the slippery slope.
You do realise that looms, even table looms, are far bigger than most wheels? That you will have to kick someone out of the house (like all of them, the furniture and the computers) to fit in a decent sized loom or three? My Little Gem 2 wheel has a footprint a bit bigger than a laptop, but not much bigger.
Enjoy your loom but be warned ;-)
Hope the yarn diet goes well. I am on somewhat of a diet too.

 
At 10:57 am, October 09, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Love the lace edged hat and the Bergere de France jacket is coming along nicely, too. I adore that Freedom Spirit but have, so far, resisted buying it despite buying the pattern book and fondling it every time I go into our LYS. How's that for discipline! LOL How exciting that you have a loom. I must admit I've been eyeing up Carrie Anne's with envy. Looking forward to seeing it assembled and your creations on it.

 
At 1:46 pm, October 09, 2006, Blogger Piglottie said...

The hat is gorgeous, so elegant. I love the Freedom Spirit, great colourway. Congrats on the loom purchase!

 
At 5:12 pm, October 10, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

The hat looks lovely and that Freedom Spirit is making me want to go shopping. I'm impressed that you were so decisive over the frogging, it is always a hard choice but usually turns out to be for the best!

 
At 12:17 pm, October 16, 2006, Blogger Melody said...

Oooh what scrummy Freedom Spirit DK! I want some of that to knit either the cropped cardi or tank.... but that's one of the books I ordered that's OUT OF STOCK!!

 
At 10:49 pm, October 16, 2006, Blogger blog-blethers said...

I love your hat and the jacket is looking brilliant. And still drooling at your stash shot, Have bought a pattern book for the Freedom Spirit yarn but just CANNOT decide which colour to go for. Does that mean I can buy it all?????

 
At 10:24 am, November 25, 2006, Blogger . said...

Ooh, jealous. I've been thinking of spending my tax return on an ashford loom. Lovely. Can't wait to see what you make with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home