Saturday, September 23, 2006

Current WIPs

Here's the sad and sorry KSH moss stitch scarf - hardly anything done on it, and no enthusiasm to continue! It's a lovely fabric but the fundamental problem seems to be that the yarn is SO fine, I find it difficult to handle. Maybe my fingers lack the dexterity for knitting with sewing cotton :-)



My other WIPs are of course listed in the sidebar, main progress has been with the shrug in the last week or two. I now have all the pieces completed, the next job is to seam the shoulders and knit on the ribbed edgings. I dug the BdF jacket and yarn out of the wardrobe and after the shrug is complete, that is next to be finished.

I placed my first order with elann.com recently too. I decided to make Ivy from the latest Knitty, and worked out that even with air shipping, it would cost the same or cheaper to buy the original alpaca yarn from elann, than buy a substitute over here :-) Elann were extremely fast to ship and the yarn arrived in double-quick time. It's the Peruvian Quechua which is 60% alpaca, 40% tencel. I got the Saxony Teal as used on the original garment, I love aqua/turquoise/teal shades and I wasn't disappointed with this one. When I checked a few days ago the Saxony Teal looked to be sold out, glad I didn't dither too long :-)

Here's the end result of an ebay purchase I made a couple of months ago. I bought a kilo of Rowan Calmer which was sold in 2 skeins, one twice as big as the other. The larger skein was too big and heavy to use the swift so a chair back had to do! I'd wound the smaller skein into balls not long after I bought it but hadn't had enough spare time to attempt the bigger one until this week. It's shade Kiwi, a pretty soft lime colour. This should make a sweater and something else smaller, I have the Calmer pattern book and there are a number of garments in there that I like.



I received a lovely package in the post this morning, courtesy of Hazel of Knitz & Glitz. Firstly there is the pretty Helix Pin:



And secondly the lovely set of Clapotis stitchmarkers. These have extra-large rings and will cope with up to 10mm needles:

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 7:14 pm, September 23, 2006, Blogger Becky said...

Beautiful stitch markers. I used the Calmer lime for an Odessa hat and it is lovely yarn.

The yarn you are using for the scarf is very fine! I don't blame you for not wanting to continue with that!

Can't wait to see your Ivy. That is such a beautiful pattern and color.

 
At 7:28 pm, September 23, 2006, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

I'm fairly well-known for disliking KSH, but I can't tell whether it's me or the needles I use ... I'm normally on Denise needles or Inox metal ones ... but I see you're using wood / bamboo? - so maybe it's me, and not the needles at all. The moss stitch looks nice in KSH though (I always like the look of it but hate knitting it) - maybe it's just that you really don't like moss stitch?

 
At 8:31 pm, September 23, 2006, Blogger Melody said...

Ooooh that Calmer looks delicious! I've got some in khaki to knit 'Air' from the Calmer collection later in the year or early next year maybe :-?

I'm lovin' the capelet too! Very nice!

 
At 10:52 pm, September 23, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

The stitch markers are lovely. I quite like KSH but sometimes it can be a nightmare (especially if you need to frog it!). It looks pretty from what you have done so far - perhaps the KSH will grow on you?

 
At 7:15 am, September 24, 2006, Blogger Seahorse said...

Love the Capelet!

Your Knitz & Glitz goodies are gorgeous. Love the Calmer too.

Shame about the KSH but I think the first rule of knitting is, if you're not enjoying it, put it down!

 
At 10:50 am, September 24, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Hang in there with the KSH scarf, it's going to look incredibly pretty.

The calmer is a lovely colour. Lovely stuff from Hazel.

 
At 9:09 pm, September 24, 2006, Blogger annarella said...

Ooooh, I've always wanted to buy stuff from elann.com, were you happy with the yarn you ordered? And did you have to pay customs?

 
At 12:02 pm, September 25, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

The yarn from elann is gorgeous and I love the pattern you are going to knit with it, it's going to look wonderful. The Galmer looks beautiful too, a lovely shade of green.

Hazel's pin and stitchmarkers are wonderful :)

 
At 1:50 pm, September 25, 2006, Blogger T said...

Love what you bought from Hazel. I'm laughing at your KSH scarf, lol, I'm sorry. It's very sad and small ;o) The Calmer looks lovely piled up like that, gorgeous colour. Bit chilly here today, you'll need the BdF jacket soon, I'm glad you're going to get it done.

 
At 2:02 pm, September 25, 2006, Blogger Alice said...

Those stitch markers are beautiful.

When I first used the KSH I thought I'd never be able to get past about five rows (I was using slippery metal Addis). But you do get used to it, if you can be bothered. I suppose not enjoying it at all does dampen any motivation to continue. But that purple is so beautiful. Just do 5 rows a day or something and it might be done by the end of the winter! On the other hand, if you hate it....life's too short. Sell the yarn on ebay and buy something else. I think we all have our favourites and maybe this isn't yours.

 
At 3:49 pm, September 25, 2006, Blogger ~Silvia~ said...

Calmer looks delicious. I have not used KSH as yet. The markers look brilliant. I like your Caplet as well. It looks rather 'Romantic' to me

 
At 6:56 pm, September 25, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

I would say keep persevering with the KSH. It does feel strange at first but, if you persevere, you may get used to it and it does make some lovely floaty gossamer like projects which is why some get addicted to it and it's referred to as crack silk haze! LOL

Lots of Rowan Calmer. WOW! and such a lovely shade. Glad you liked the pin and stitchmarkers! :-)

 
At 3:51 am, September 27, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Ok I love Rowan yarn but calmer is one of my faves the color is great! I can't wait to see Ivy.

 
At 9:42 pm, September 30, 2006, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Wow, now this is definitely a cool purchase you did at Ebay - Ebay rocks big time when it comes to yarn, there's so many goodies there for amazing prices!
I really love the stitchmarkers too! And as for the scarf, well, I think I can't blame you in the least for not being too enthusiastic about it, it seems to be so delicate and thin that it must be almost impossible to work with ;(

 
At 3:11 pm, October 03, 2006, Blogger Piglottie said...

I was lucky when I used KSH as the pattern was to knit it with a strand of 4ply cotton, which made it much easier to use. The colourway of yours is gorgeous though, hope you have more luck with it!

 
At 8:37 pm, October 03, 2006, Blogger Badger said...

That calmer is a beautiful colour, and the goodies from /hazel's shop are gorgeous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home