Saturday, September 23, 2006

Capelet completed



Pattern: New Vintage Capelet by Michelle Kissoore (SpunMag)
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Aran Tweed (recommended yarn)
Yardage: Four skeins, plus approximately two-thirds of a fifth for largest size
Needles: Denise circular 4mm

I'm pleased with the way this turned out, despite my not bothering to swatch! The pattern has one or two obvious mistakes which were easy to fix, but I think I should realistically have gone up a needle size. That said, it has made a lovely drapey warm fabric so I can't complain. The yarn definitely benefited from a bath and being pinned out to block. The lace evened up and the fabric softened up somewhat. This is still slightly on the scratchy side though, but I didn't feel particularly uncomfortable with it next to my skin.

Here's how it looks on, thanks to the excellent self-time facility on the camera:





You can see it isn't quite the same overall shape as the example in the pattern, but it feels great around the shoulders. Please excuse the complete lack of coordination in clothing, it's too warm to dig out winter tops just yet! The brooch is silver with an onyx centre, by the way. I have the Glamour Capelet pattern too and may make that in green Rowanspun Aran.

I used more yarn than the pattern stated (4 skeins specified for the largest size), I do think the gauge give would be awkward if not impossible to get with this yarn without making too loose a fabric, I think it's more a case of fudging by making a larger size than you normally would.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:19 pm, September 23, 2006, Blogger T said...

That is really lovely. The yarn is beautiful (very 'you') and so's the lace pattern. It won't be too long until you'll be needing that. Nice job!

 
At 10:44 am, September 24, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

It looks fantastic. It's such a pretty pattern and perfect for keeping the chill off your shoulders.

 
At 9:06 pm, September 24, 2006, Blogger annarella said...

Wow, that's come out great! It looks warm and cosy on you :)

I think the pattern grossly underestimates the amount of yarn required, I went way over too.

xx

 
At 11:54 am, September 25, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

The capelet is beautiful and I love the brooch fastening, just right. A very elegant knit!

 
At 6:50 pm, September 25, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Oh, I love the way the capelet's turned out! It looks lovely on you and the brooch is just right. Perfect!

 
At 10:54 am, September 26, 2006, Blogger Badger said...

That looks really great, very stylish!

 
At 3:50 am, September 27, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That is fantastic! I love the colors. Great job!!

 
At 5:04 am, September 27, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

ooh, the capelet came out well!
And crikey that is a lot of calmer!

 
At 3:12 pm, October 03, 2006, Blogger Piglottie said...

I love it! Its such a lovely design, and the yarn has come out so pretty. Well done!

 
At 7:37 am, December 30, 2007, Blogger M @ My Closet Catalogue said...

Ah, the vagaries of online information! I had this pattern downloaded and ready to go last year but alas, fell out of the knitting groove and somehow misplaced it. I remembered it fondly, however, and now want to attempt it but - more alas! - apparently Spun Mag no longer exists? Nowhere can I find this pattern! You wouldn't by any chance still have the pattern running amuck somewhere and if so, you wouldn't by any chance wish to help out a fellow knitster, would you? Please?! Pretty please?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home