Sunday, July 02, 2006

Hoorah

Thanks for the birthday wishes folks! It has been a lovely day today, we got up amazingly early for a Sunday, being as it was so warm. I received several knitterly items as presents - Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitting Without Tears", a 30" cord for the Denise needles and the extras set which has more short cords, end pieces etc. I also got the Rowan 37 pattern book. Other prezzies were DVDs - the 4-disc Titanic collectors edition, Subway, Repo Man and Bleak House. Quite a varied wee collection there :-) DH will buy his main present to me while we are on holiday, with luck, a piece of Whitby Jet jewellery.

I might be able to finish Tulip today. Last night I knitted the second front piece, and did a spectacularly idiotic thing while watching "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on DVD (loved it, Johnny Depp was great as WW). I managed to do the shaping at the top on the wrong side :-D Sooo there I was, unpicking rows with K2togs, P2togs and cast-off stitches. If nothing else I am getting better at correcting mistakes. This afternoon I started on the rest of the back, it seems to be going quite quickly so we will see if I end up taking this on holiday, or finishing it when I return:



The picture came out at a slightly odd angle, hence the left front piece looks bigger than the right (not so in reality). This is taken from the back by the way! The Russian Joins are more visible than I would have liked, lesson learnt with cotton I think. It's so unforgiving I doubt there is any form of join that wouldn't be slightly visible. I was probably better with my original method on this :-) I'd definitely use the RJ on other fibres, especially wool, though.

I've already packed my Simply Knitting bag with a few small projects to take away :-) Hoping to finish Odessa, and also have a go at a bag in Colinette Point 5 to felt.

I've taken some pictures in the garden this weekend, here's one that I've also made into desktop wallpaper in case anyone would like it :-) It's a Mesembryanthemum that we bought in Cornwall a couple of years ago. It spends the winter in the frost-free greenhouse, but this year it has really gone to town in flowering. I hadn't seen the flowers open until yesterday, as they open up in the morning and are closed again by late afternoon:



Wallpaper:
1600x1200
1280x1024
1024x768
800x600

Click on the link, right-button click with the mouse on the picture, and select "set as background".

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:40 pm, July 02, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Happy Birthday to you,
You were born in the zoo,
With the elephants and the monkeys,
And you look like one too.

Sounds like you've had a lovely day so far with some fantastic presents.

You're really flying along with Tulip, hope the shaping incident didn't set you back too much.

Love the flower pic, it's very pretty.

 
At 8:15 pm, July 02, 2006, Blogger T said...

Congrats to Dipsy Doodle and Happy Birthday to you, I hope you had a great day. Enjoy the rest of your break, you've picked a great couple of weeks I think! Tulip's gorgeous by the way.
xx

 
At 9:01 pm, July 02, 2006, Blogger Alice said...

Oh, I bet you stay up until 2am finishing Tulip. It's going to be great.

Hope your birthday evening is lovely - what fab weather for it! Mine is in January and can be quite dreary.

Thanks for the comments about the finger thing - I'll keep an eye on it. Happy Holidays......

 
At 10:20 am, July 03, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Hope you enjoyed your birthday! :-) You got some great pressies. Tulip is looking lovely. I do so love that shade of green and I hope you get it finished to take on holiday with you. Lucky you. I adore Whitby and isn't that a coincidence that we're both lusting aftet a piece of Whitby jet! LOL LOoking forward to seeing what you choose. The flower photo is beautiful.

 
At 10:56 am, July 03, 2006, Blogger Seahorse said...

(Belated) Happy Birthday!

I love Tulip!

 
At 11:50 am, July 03, 2006, Blogger annarella said...

Fab B'day pressies! Whoo whoo! Enjoy your holiday and THANK YOUUUU for sponsoring my Race for Life - did it yesterday, everything was great (except the weather!) will post pics as soon as I can. Take care & good luck with Tulip xx

 
At 10:16 pm, July 03, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Glad to hear you had a lovely birthday :)

Tulip is coming along really well, I have my fingers crossed that it's finished before you go away. Have a wonderful holiday!

 
At 9:29 pm, July 05, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I am a few days late but Congrats Dipsy!! And Happy Belated Birthday! Your fingers are flying along on Tulip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home