Sunday, July 23, 2006

Blanche hat, stashorama and other bits and bobs

In case you wondered, I'm posting at 1am because it's cooler this time of day (or rather night) :-) It has been incredibly hot in the UK this week with temperatures reaching the mid 90s easily, not weather we are used to or set up for. It has certainly been too warm to sit at the computer for long, so I've not really had a chance to post until now. Temperatures are still in the mid to high 20s, a lot easier to cope with but still hot.

Here's the Blanche hat I made for CFAC this week, it was very quick to knit. This is in Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece "Lovely Lavender" and I think it took a little under half a skein. This yarn was lovely to knit with, a slight tendency to split but it makes a gorgeous soft fabric.



I received a huge parcel this week from Lynne, look at the fabulous pile of yarn she sent me!



Left to right:
Patons Jet (wool/alpaca) in pink, and the beginnings of a scarf
Handspun in lilacs and pinks with a little lurex/metallic
A 200g ball of Bendigo woollen mills pure wool in bottle green, I think this is somewhere between 4-ply and DK?
Eyelash/boa in a deep red
More Patons Jet in a wonderful multi colourway
More eyelash/boa in pinks blues and greens
Mohair in pinks and golds
Some very fluffy soft pink multi boucle-type yarn
Four very pretty sparkly flower stitch markers

Lots of yarn there that would be great in boas or curly whirlies! Thanks again Lynne!

Stitch markers in more detail (not clickable):



As you can see from the picture I've started the Heart scarf from Knitty in the pink Patons Jet. This is one of the patterns in the Knitty print special themed around the fight against breast cancer. As soon as I saw the Jet I thought of this scarf. It isn't quite as chuncky as the original yarn in the pattern, so I'm using 7.5mm needles instead of 10mm and it will turn out at around 5.5 inches wide. This scarf will be sent to Hazel for the craft fair. I had started a "rockstar" scarf a while ago but wasn't happy with the way it was looking, and I think Heart will be much nicer!

An update on the Tulip top saga. I measured it and the sizing was absolutely fine until dividing at the arm holes. It ended up several inches wider than it should have been at the top. I have no real idea why since the size was fine for half of the item. After some thought I've decided I'm going to frog it and make Midwest Moonlight from Scarf Style with the yarn. That I would definitely wear, I have had reservations in general about whether I would wear a knitted top in summer, even in cotton. I did consider making the top from the latest Magknits but in the end, after seeing Tina's fantastic MM on Hazel's blog, I decided upon that.

I've also started the Ariadne corset-style top from the "Muse" pattern book, in Colinette Lasso. I've cast on tonight, using stitch markers at every 20 stitches so I wouldn't lose my mind recounting :-) It was a little difficult to cast on with as I found I kept catching the little loops on the shiny thread. The colours look really lovely on the needles though.

In answer to a couple of queries - anythingbuthousework asked about the Koigu yarn I used on Latifa. It was shade/dye P121287 and it came from Knit Happens in the USA. It was bought in Jan/Feb this year. I couldn't find an email address for you by the way so I hope you see this answer.

Mandy asked about the camera - it's a 6 megapixel with 3x optical zoom and a nice big screen (glass covered), and the model is a Fuji Finepix F470 which was on offer at PC World. I've used it for my latest photos and it's doing a great job.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 7:05 am, July 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Love blanche! Did you find yours a bit short? Nice package you have some nice new yarns! Sorry to hear about Tulip=( It sounds like you have a few project going on. Thanks for the camera info I think I have found the one I am going to buy it is also a Fuji. Good cameras!!

 
At 9:42 am, July 23, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

What a shame about Tulip. I just looked up the Ariadne top and it looks so nice. I like the skirt in the same set called Acanthia too.

 
At 10:15 am, July 23, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Blanche looks great. It's a shame Tulip is going to be frogged, but there's no point keeping something you won't wear.

What a fab package. I love the heart scarf from Knitty, can't wait to see yours.

 
At 10:26 am, July 23, 2006, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Gosh, will this heatwave ever end? We're having a bit of cooler weather today, "just" in the 90's - but for next week we're supposed to break a couple more heat records. Duh. :(
I really, really love Blanche, what a gorgeous pattern! And that package you received sure rocks, such a lot of goodies in there!
So sorry to hear about Tulip, but I agree, there's no sense in keeping it when you're not going to wear it anyway.

 
At 10:30 am, July 23, 2006, Blogger annarella said...

Blanche looks great, why not submit it to What's your skein (http://skeinalong.blogspot.com/), that'd be perfect.

Ah, and of course, I LOVE your stitchmarkers, they're gorgeous!! You lucky lucky girl! :)


PS: Sorry about Tulip, but I'm glad to hear you're not letting it get to you and already have another plan :)


xxx

 
At 2:28 pm, July 23, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Blanche looks excellent - that's not a pattern I've seen before, one to bookmark.

Oh, I can't believe you're going to frog Tulip! But if it's not right for you, then it's better to knit something you know you will wear.

What a lovely gift you received from Lynne, and a great idea to use some of the yarn for the Heart scarf. It's looking like you've made a great start on it.

 
At 8:01 pm, July 23, 2006, Blogger Alice said...

I feel the same way about knitted tops (even in cotton) when it's hot. I just don't have the inclination to fancy wearing one. It's a brave decision to frog it but it's the best one under the circumstances, I think.

Your Blanche is lovely.

 
At 9:25 pm, July 23, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Love the Blanche hat and, wow, that's a super parcel you got from Lynne. The stitchmarkers are excellent! Thanks for making the scarf for the charity craft fair. That is so kind of you! I think our stall is going to be brimming over with stuff - people have been so giving and generous - and it continues to come in which is great!

What a shame about Tulip but, if you do feel you have to frog it, the Midwest Moonlight is definitely a beautiful project. Or, this link which Anna posted to UKHK -http://www.chicknits.com/ttdownsizing.shtml - explains how you can downsize a knitted garment so you might want to have a go at that instead and you can still knit MM with some other yarn.

 
At 11:20 pm, July 24, 2006, Blogger Badger said...

I had that same irritation with lasso - it's annoying when you have to keep looking down at what your doing to stop the shiny loopy bits getting caught.

 
At 11:25 am, July 26, 2006, Blogger T said...

It's very pink in here, courtesy of Lynne :) I'm glad to see you're still casting on new things, lol. Isn't it too hot though? I can't believe I am saying that, but it really is. Blanche is gorgeous and I think you'll enjoy knitting Midwest Moonlight. So sad about Tulip :(

 
At 1:15 pm, July 26, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

:-) Heh. People like the parcel. Oh the bottle green is a 5 ply in Oz terms, or a sport weight pretty much in US terms and obviously a nothing in UK terms! It can be knitted as a dk but will not be as firm.
Pity about Tulip - it looked so nice but was so wrong.

 
At 8:48 am, July 29, 2006, Blogger Seahorse said...

Blanche and the Alien scarf are fab!

That's a b*gger about Tulip but I'm sure it's better to frog than finish it and never wear it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home