Sunday, July 30, 2006

Ariadne progress

I finished the back piece for Ariadne yesterday:



The yarn is Colinette Lasso and the shade is "Jamboree", one of the brightest! I like the resulting fabric, but Lasso's construction means you are often inadvertently catching the little loops from the shiny thread up on the needles. I used two different skeins in the back, alternating every so often. I didn't feel like fighting with it to carry the yarn up the side, changing every few rows. However I do like the colour patterning, there isn't any huge area of pooling, and even switching between 2 skeins you often get the same basic colour arrangement.

I'm also doing nicely with Heart, it is looking great as I've done more repeats. Picture when I've finished the first ball of yarn.

Yesterday I chucked the Colinette Point 5 bag I knitted on holiday, into the machine at 75 degrees, with a large bath towel for company. It has felted very nicely indeed, currently drying over some videos. I'm now deciding how to finish it, as I used up all 3 skeins of the green. I've found an old webbing belt in an olive green which might make a good strap. Definitely considering another trip to the millshop, probably in the early autumn.

After Ariadne is finished I want to make a start on Sgt. Pepper. I'm also looking at making the Yelena cardigan from Femme Fatale in the Marble Giotto lurkng in my stash.

Speaking of stash, there are one or two things that I'm never ever going to use that will go in the next charity bag collection. The Sirdar Snowflake is one of them! Never thought I would get rid of any yarn but needs must, as there are several PIWs that need a home and all the stash bought on holiday and sent as prezzies also needs accomodation!

On recommendation from one of the folks on AY forums I ordered a very snazzy-looking "all in one" needle case this week from ebay seller EHWA Aprons. It should hold lots of straights, DPNs and circulars. We went to Freeport today and in the Marks & Spencers Outlet we picked up a straight-sided, circular glass vase for needles. Any posher ones and HUGE ones can live in here. Also got some clothing from M&S including a very pretty Per Una skirt.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 8:12 pm, July 30, 2006, Blogger Alice said...

That Ariadne will be great. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Now the weather is cooler it's easier to get some knitting done, isn't it?

I have all my needles in a tall, straight, circular black vase and they look lovely (well, they would if there weren't about 20 circs in there as well, all in their plastic packets).

 
At 10:18 pm, July 30, 2006, Blogger T said...

You're doing loads! Ariadne is fantastic already, love the brights. I'm excited for you starting Sgt. Pepper.

I'm thinking of doing yarn giveaways as my stash is becoming a nuisance to me too.

I love Per Una too. Now I'm off to check out the ebay seller!

 
At 4:01 am, July 31, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Ariadne is my sort of top - lurid :-)

 
At 12:26 pm, July 31, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Oooh, Ariadne looks gorgeous, I just adore those bright colours!

Sounds like you are getting yourself organised with the needles storage and the yarn clearout. I had a look at the ebay seller and the bags all look lovely. Potfest is on at Penrith this coming weekend if you fancy a trip up to the Lakes and finding some unusual vases :)

 
At 1:38 pm, July 31, 2006, Blogger annarella said...

Ariadne is looking hot, I love the bottom edge, really pretty!!

You're very brave wanting to knit Sgt Pepper, I'm in awe of that jacket, and yet mildly terrified at the same time ;) Good luck xxx

 
At 5:40 pm, July 31, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Ooh it looks lovely in that colourway.

I like the sound of the new needle storage.

 
At 1:57 pm, August 01, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

I love your happy bright Ariadne! I checked out the needle storage link and they look great. Looking forward to seeing all your other knits as they progress, too. I use a vase for my straight needles, too.

 
At 8:46 pm, August 01, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

The top looks lovely so far. The colours make me think of beaches and sunsets. Using a vase for needles is such a good idea!

 
At 9:50 am, August 02, 2006, Blogger Badger said...

That's looking great so far - I know what you mean about Lasso though, it's irritating when you have to keep looking down to make sure you haven't picked up one of those metallic loops (again)!

 
At 9:59 pm, August 03, 2006, Blogger Piglottie said...

Ariadne looks great, I love the colours! Colinette is just so delicious - and very addictive!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home