Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Yarn arrivals

Yesterday the postie brought this lovely yarn from Mandy, who has done a fantastic job with obtaining yarn donations from various firms for CFAC.



Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Olivette and Lovely Lavender & Heathered Fields of Lavender. It's 80% cotton, 20% merino and is gorgeous, and of course Get Knitted have started to sell it too :-) This lot should make 7 or 8 hats I think.

I also rather liked the sleeveless lace top in the latest Knitting magazine, designed in Debbie Bliss Cotton DK. I found the yarn at a very good price at Em's Stitches (who I have bought from before, the DB Cathay for Sgt. Pepper). They also offer free postage in the UK. I ordered the pale lime (shade 20) and it has arrived very smartly indeed:



I'm in a quandary about my subscriptions to both Knitting and Simply Knitting. I feel like cancelling them half the time, then I find something I like enough to want to knit ... hmm. Methinks I will end up keeping them, at least it gives us something to moan about knitting-wise :-)

I'm just over half way on the IHS, and was trying to complete a minimum number of repeats each night this week to hopefully finish completely by the weekend. No knitting was done last night, we found out my sister had been hit by an object thrown from a speeding car as she was walking down the road! Thankfully she is OK albeit rather murderous when I spoke to her! It sounds like stupid "kids" who have a car but no sense or responsibility. As she said, they might be 18 but act like 10 year olds (badly-behaved 10-year-olds as I am sure there are plenty of lovely ones around). The police came round that same night and took a statement, gave a crime number and will circulate the details of the incident as it's fairly likely this isn't an isolated incident. I just wish parents would think before bestowing shiny fast cars on their immature offspring!

In happier news, we have found what we hope is the ideal little hotel for our mini-break, it is near Rievaulx Abbey in the North Yorkshire Moors country park. It's ideal for visiting all the fabulous places around, like Castle Howard (where "Brideshead Revisited" was filmed), Fountains Abbey, Whitby, etc. And of course the Wensleydale Longwool Sheep Shop! We've visited all the places I've mentioned before (apart from the sheep shop!) but that was a few years ago now. There are plenty of other historic attractions and of course gorgeous countryside.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:03 pm, June 10, 2006, Blogger T said...

It's called 'Pirate'! I found it at last. Love the yarn :) Your hat yarn is delicious too.

You know you can't cancel subscriptions or you might miss something ... and you're right, you'd miss out on the rant.

I'm so sorry about your sis and glad she's ok physically. It's hard to understand what possesses these kids.

I'm going to be posting on this blog now, btw. When I do some knitting ;)

 
At 11:47 pm, June 10, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Sorry to hear about your sister, I hope she's feeling OK now. What a society we live in...

The yarns are yummy!

Oh, I know what you mean about SK and K - I don't subscribe to either of them but do buy every issue - but I have been so disheartened recently I haven't bought the latest K yet. I think I might just stick to Interweave and Vogue, I always find something lovely in those two. But... I also don't want to miss anything! *shakes head in dilemma*

 
At 8:45 am, June 11, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Have a fantastic time in Yorkshire, it's such a lovely part of the world.

Hope your sister is ok. What's the world coming to with kids these days? Bah!

The lime is absolutely beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home