Sunday, June 18, 2006

Tulip progress

This is possibly one of the more boring knitting photos you will see :-) This was taken yesterday, I'm about halfway with the ribbing now (4 inches or so). Have to keep reminding myself this is knit in the round, so I'm doing the back and front together and am actually making more progress than I think I am!



The DB cotton is very good to knit with, and never ever splits. I'm using Denise interchangeables, the 19 inch cord with the 4mm needle tips. I started off with 4.5mm as my tension swatch (yes, I actually did one LOL!) told me that I got perfect gauge with 4.5mm. Once I started knitting in the round as opposed to flat I thought it was coming in too loose so went down a needle size. This is where the Denise set really shine, as you just take off the needle tips and replace them without disturbing the knitting from its cord.

My thanks to Rain and Hazel for your suggestions about lace knitting and decreases. A chart sounds like an excellent idea and is definitely something I'd do when I wasn't trying to knit to a deadline :-) I think I'm much less a process knitter, much more product-oriented. I see something I like a lot and want to make it, and don't always think too much about the difficulties that may be involved!

I probably won't try Pirate again but I have quite a few lacy-type patterns in shrugs, cardigans etc. that appeal to me, and I'm keen to have another go. It might well be in the autumn though!

Great to see all the comments on the Giveaway post, keep 'em coming :-) It's nice to see folks from lots of different countries too.

To finish here's a photo of one of the foxgloves we planted this year, taken yesterday in the fine warm weather. They aren't "wild" foxgloves but the colours are beautiful all the same. The flowers are more pale yellow when they open and turn pinker as they mature.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 2:25 pm, June 18, 2006, Blogger T said...

That photo isn't boring, you can see how gorgeous the DB cotton is, and I love the colour as you know. Tulip is definitely going 'on the list'.

I love flower pics. We are going to have to take loads and hold a few back for when it's horrid weather, to keep ourselves from going under :)

I forgot when I posted that *you* would be the person to ask about flowers, lol.

 
At 4:46 pm, June 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:19 pm, June 18, 2006, Blogger Alice said...

Oooh, your stitches are so lovely and even. It will be perfect. Much better than that old lace thing!

;)

 
At 8:51 am, June 19, 2006, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Oh, such lovely flowers, I love those colors! And your progress pic is not at all boring, in the contrary, it looks awesome - you really managed to show how soft the yarn is and how evenly you knit (I definitely admire you for that!) Looking forward to seeing how this is going to turn out! I also love the color you chose!

 
At 10:20 am, June 19, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

The progress pic is great to see, the yarn looks fantastic and I really like the colour. Like you say, it must feel good to know you are progressing a lot quicker than you think as you are knitting in the round! I am now sorely tempted by those Denise needles - didn't even cross my mind about how easy it would be to change sizes!

Beautiful pic of the foxglove, it's lovely to see all these blooms :)

 
At 10:56 am, June 19, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

It's coming along really well. I'm in love with the yarn, it looks like a dream to work with and is a gorgeous colour.

 
At 8:20 am, June 20, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Foxgloves are one of my favourites. (I admit I have many favourites)
Is that colour representative of the yarn? Tulip looks good so far! Soft and yummy :-)

 
At 9:48 am, June 20, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Tulip is looking great and that green is divine. As the others have said, your knitting is extremely even and neat! I really like foxgloves. We had some in our last garden. I seem to remember that they only flower every other year or something like that. Is that right or am i getting in a muddle? Foxgloves are a real cottage style garden flower and I love that they also have a place in herbal history and are used in conventional medicine, too (digitalis for heart problems).

 
At 5:06 pm, June 20, 2006, Blogger noblinknits said...

That is a lovely picture. I'm stuck on some green ribbing at the moment but not nearly as much as you've already completed so you're spurred me on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home