Monday, June 12, 2006

Irish Hiking Scarf

Finished yesterday:



Pattern: Irish Hiking Scarf by Hello Yarn
Yarn: Posh Yarn Cordelia aran cashmere-silk (50:50) in Mulberry
Yardage: 2 x 100g skeins purchased, each 230 yards - approx. 180g used
Length: 57 inches approx.

I could have added several more repeats with the yarn I had left, I'd say you could knit this to over 60 inches in length and still have enough yarn to add a fringe. This is really gorgeous yarn to knit with, I'm going to miss using it! The photo doesn't really do the texture of the cables full justice. Stitch definition is excellent. And it is so, so soft yet the finished scarf is very "springy" and stretchy too.

I started the Pirate top from the current Knitting magazine last night. Not enough to take a decent picture of at the moment though. The pattern gives you 4 rows plain knit, 4 rows pattern (1 repeat), then you start decreases while having to keep the pattern as set. Something I missed when I'd done the first decrease row (purl) then started the next pattern row, without taking away the first stitch! Had to tink back two thirds of a row but at least I realised that you had to work out where to start after each set of decreases. On the plus side the lace pattern itself is very easy. I have some really lovely green glass beads that I'm going to use for the beaded knitted brooch on this, can't wait to make that!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 7:55 pm, June 12, 2006, Blogger Spinningsue said...

Gorgeous scarf! It looks really nice in the Posh Yarns cashmere silk. Might have to knit me one!

 
At 8:13 pm, June 12, 2006, Blogger T said...

That's one of the nicest scarves I've ever seen, I can feel it from here :)

It's great that you're all excited about Pirate. I love finding a pattern I really want to knit.

 
At 8:35 pm, June 12, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

Lovely scarf and you finished with a week to spare. I want to see the Pirate top it sounds very intriguing. Any parrots or crossbones involved?

 
At 10:16 pm, June 12, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Wow, your scarf is beautiful! It is so full of life. Your dad is going to love it.

I've not seen the Pirate pattern but it sounds intruiging!

 
At 6:05 am, June 13, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Very lovely!! I love the color! I bet it is soft! The Pirate top sounds very interesting! Can't wait to see it

 
At 7:00 am, June 13, 2006, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Gosh, I can't believe how gorgeous this scarf turned out, you did such an amazing job with it! And I love the color of the yarn you used - my fave if I might add :)
Naturally I'm very curious to see your progress on the Pirate top, do show it to us, pretty please, will you?

 
At 8:34 am, June 13, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

The scarf is beautiful. I love the way the light picks out the shades from the yarn. It looks very soft.

Your Dad is going to love it.

 
At 12:46 pm, June 13, 2006, Blogger Badger said...

The scarf looks absolutely gorgeous :)

 
At 2:21 pm, June 13, 2006, Blogger Seahorse said...

Fabulous scarf! I bet your Dad will love it :)

 
At 6:19 pm, June 13, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

Looking very,very nice,especially loving it because of the colour!!...i bet it will be gorgeous,soft and cozy to wear....mind you it would be killing in this heat at the moment!LOL Ted and Beck are both flaked out as well...they've both been clipped twice already!

 
At 8:40 pm, June 13, 2006, Blogger Alice said...

Beautiful! The slight variegation in the yarn is like an optical illusion. Love it.

 
At 9:24 am, June 15, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

That is one gorgeous scarf +++!!! Your dad will love it, I'm sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home