Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Are we sure it's Midsummer?!

Tomorrow is Midsummer's Day and of course the weather has been conspiring to turn nasty! It's currently windy and raining and I'm seriously considering switching on the heating for a while.

Never mind, we have some things to cheer us up. My Rowan membership pack arrived today, with the exception of the free gift which is sent separately. Also in the post, very rapidly, was this:



Sirdar Pure Cotton DK in shade "Carmine" from Kemps. It is currently on offer in a number of shades (including very pretty paler pink and pale lilac) at 1.50 per 100g ball (usual price is around 3.50). This makes it possible to knit the lovely wrapover ribbed jacket/cardi from Sirdar California Girls, for a shade over 10 pounds :-) You can't argue with that sort of price and you certainly couldn't buy a ready-made cardi for that! It works out at half the cost of using Sirdar Luxury Cotton, and the pattern book states categorically that any Sirdar DK quality can be used. I'm glad I checked the latest offers at Kemps as I've wanted to make this for a while.

Tulip is up to 6 inches of ribbing, and the third ball of yarn. Update picture when I get into the reverse stocking stitch. I've also started another Odessa, this time for me, in RYC Cashsoft DK Lime. The colour refused to photograph correctly, in reality it's a lot "limier" than this:



I'd signed up for an Odessa KAL on Caps for a Cure so this is why I've started it when I'm trying to finish Tulip :-) I enjoy the Odessa pattern, I'm not using beads as I don't think I really want beads on a hat.

Speaking of beads, the July Simply Knitting has arrived and features the 3 winning scarves from the recent competition. All 3 are great and I think I will knit Bronte's scarf at some point using the King Cole Anti-Tickle Merino (in lilac) and some contrasting beads.

A quick update about the possibility of working from home, I've had a couple of quick chats with my boss' boss, he is now going to the head of the organisation to see what they can do. Keeping my fingers crossed! (the head honcho works from home most of the time, apparently!)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 8:42 pm, June 20, 2006, Blogger Alice said...

It's very windy here, too! Quite dramatic, as we are surrounded by very tall yew trees, but not very sporting of Mother Nature, considering it's supposed to be hot hot hot.

You're so right about the cashsoft in lime not photographing correctly. My Odessa is in the exact same yarn and it's nothing like it. Much more yellowy than the cool green of your photo. It's a lovely colour.

A cardi for a tenner is brill. I bet it will be really nice. I'm still dubious about the clothes I knit looking good on me!

 
At 7:30 am, June 21, 2006, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Oy - what? Turning on the heating? Hey, I'm sending some heatwaves over to you, we're still around 40 degrees Celsius these days and it gets hot, hot, hot! I'd love to share!
That yarn is sooo lovely, what a luscious, awesome color! And that price certainly can't be beaten, what a deal!
Your Odessa is coming along so fine - it's strange that certain colors just refuse to get photographed as they are! I'm facing this problem with my lavender cardi right now, it seems everytime I take a pic, the color comes out differently. Hmmm....

 
At 12:13 pm, June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Having emptied completely, the rain butts are full again. So it can stop now! Never remember whether its sunrise or sunset, we should dance naked at on Midsummer's day so I am not going to bother!
Well done with the bargain finding. Love that pink!

 
At 7:13 pm, June 21, 2006, Blogger T said...

It's been very windy but still very warm here.

You are 'knittyinpink' with that lovely yarn, and I would like to knit that cardi from the Sirdar book too at some point.

I would like to knit Bronte's scarf, which will be my first foray into beads, and I STILL haven't made a Mary-Lou boa!

 
At 11:50 am, June 22, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

What a gorgeous pink, your cardi is going to be lovely!

Yes, it's been blowing a gale here too for the past couple of days, but luckily the temperature hasn't dropped too much.

Fingers crossed about the working from home situation!

 
At 1:00 am, June 23, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

We didn't get the rain so bad ...but boy did we get battered by the wind!The trees were really swaying over in our garden , it was a bit scarey...the wind was howling down the chimney and it felt more like November than June!
I guess the up side of it being windy is that i can dry the hundreds of shirts i wash a week outside!LOL ( plus everything else obviously :0) )
Love the pink you've just received! and the Tulip looks very nice too, i bet it's nice to knit with!
You can't buy a decent cardi for a tenner can you? Do you need anymore excuses?? :0)

 
At 11:04 am, June 24, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

That pink is gorgeous and a bargain, too! I can just imagine the cardi knitted in it. It will look lovely! Good luck with the working from home thing. Hope they'll agree to it. So much better than having to travel to work both from time and stress perspectives.

 
At 10:51 am, June 29, 2006, Blogger annarella said...

I love the pink you've chosen, it's really beautiful, and what a price too! What's the colour called anyway? I had a look on the Kemps site but the two pinks they had looked much paler and pastely than yours.

xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home