Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Spare Head 2

Look what arrived today, my very own head-form courtesy of a seller on ebay :-)



A very reasonable fiver plus P&P, money well spent as I can now show hats off much more effectively. Hopefully without the flash washout though, it is bucketing down outside at the moment.

Spare Head 2* is modelling the first Odessa I made. I cast on another last night, in RYC Cashsoft DK, both are for Caps for a Cure. I'll finish that one this week with any luck then I can post them off.

I also looked at dress forms on eBay, from what I could see they tend to go for around half of what one costs brand new (the adjustable type, quite a few sellers have non-adjustable ones). I'm not quite sure where one would "live" if I got one though!

One thing I'm almost certainly going to invest in is a manual yarn winder, so I can wind skeins directly off the swift and make nice even centre-pull balls. Apart from second-hand ones on eBay, which I'm none too sure about (could be wonky/worn etc.), the one place I've found them online so far is P&M Woolcraft (22 pounds something). Given the price second hand versions go for on eBay, plus the cost of P&P, this seems very reasonable.

Cherry, so sorry about your poor jumper! Glad I could help out with the replacement :-D There is definitely a green "bug" doing the rounds though!

* "Spare Head 2" is a reference to "Red Dwarf", the android Kryten has various spare body parts including spare heads one and two :-)

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 11:00 pm, May 17, 2006, Blogger T said...

Hehe, we love Kryten.

That's a jolly good head and your hat does look splendid on it (her? She should have a name?)

I have a winder, but no swift. My winder was a vintage type one from ebay, very cheap and works fine. Maybe we got lucky though and it would be best to get a new one.

 
At 11:29 pm, May 17, 2006, Blogger Alice said...

Oh how I laughed at Red Dwarf! I meant to get a "head" after I saw Frankie's. As you saw on my latest post, I could do with one, as it scares me every time my face pops up, looking plain miserable. Love your Odessa and guess what, I've got some lime-green yarn sitting here on the table, for mine! And I've just ordered the beads. Let us know what you think of the winder when you get one. I think of it every time I wind for ages. Thanks for the interchangeables suggestion. Will get them one day!

 
At 12:22 am, May 18, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

The Odessa looks fab in that colour. Great idea to get the head to show it off.

You could put a dressform in your bedroom and have it near scare you half to death if you wake up in the night.

 
At 7:04 pm, May 18, 2006, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Nanatoo - you're probably right, I'd likely get a decent winder on ebay, but after they add the postage it isn't that much more to buy new.

The head should probably have a proper name, I do like the RD reference though. I'm very bad at naming things, suggestions please!

Alice - I refuse to put my "boatrace" on this blog, if you think you just look miserable, I would end up looking like an extra from Night of the Living Dead :-D I'm terrible at taking photos of myself too. Good luck with your Odessa, it's a nice hat to knit (mine are without beads so far) but by coincidence I have some pale lime Cashsoft to do one for myself :-D

Rain - nice idea re putting a dress-form in the bedroom, but yes it would definitely scare me! As it is I wake up sometimes thinking there are spiders (there aren't). Only trouble is we have no room in there for ir, we'd fall over one. The 2 main bedrooms are only about 12 foot square (curse this bonkers 1960s house!)

 
At 6:41 am, May 19, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Oooh, that's cool, and a good price too. I love your Odessa, it's a very delicate and pretty knit.

 
At 8:55 am, May 19, 2006, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Wow, cool head, and the Odessa its wearing looks so amazing, such a lovely color too!
Ah yes, a yarn winder - I'd desperately need such a thing as well, I guess it'd come in so handy and you're going to love it when you've got it!

 
At 4:24 pm, May 19, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Heheheheheh. Considering your maiden name, your spare head Hryten reference seems appropriate, if slightly more mute!
Latifa look yummy - like gelati with sprinkles on top!
My ball winder cost $56 new from the spinning guild. That is about 20 quid in your money.
(I've not been about much = nathan keeps stealing my monitor and it is hard to use a computer without a monitor)

 
At 3:04 pm, May 20, 2006, Blogger T said...

Holly on RD was just a head wasn't he/she? Howzat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home