Monday, May 15, 2006

Latifa scarf!

Please, no-one faint with shock. I have finally finished Latifa. I started it in January and proceeded to abandon it on a regular basis for other projects (Clapotis, I'm looking at you).

I did the last 4 or 5 ruffles yesterday (hands *ouch*), then sewed in all the Koigu ends last night. It was finished yesterday but by 11 or 12 at night it was a tad dark to take photos. Today wasn't much lighter either, it has decided to be GLOOMY, that almost half-light you get with a heavy cloud cover and drizzle all day. However I don't think the photos came out half bad, no camera flash which surprised me given light levels indoors:







Pattern: Latifa scarf from Knitty, by Jillian Moreno
Yarn: Garnstudio Silketweed in shades 02 15 01 and 21 (used around a half to two-thirds of each), and Koigu KPPPM in shade 121 (used 1.5 skeins)
Needles: 3.25mm metal needles (ouch)

When I'd knitted the main garter stitch section, I found the edges were quite uneven. This seemed to be due to the varying thicknesses of the different colours of Silketweed - brown being the thickest and green being by far the thinnest. I washed and pinned it out to block, which did a fantastic job of evening it up.

When the pattern says, take regular breaks when ruffling, it means it :-) I found it very hard on my hands, the combination of a metal needle and the multiple increases doesn't leave a lot of breathing room. I found I was lucky if I could manage 3 ruffles in one session. However, I'm very pleased with the final result, and at this rate will be able to wear it if we continue to have temperatures of 13C this week!

I'd probably have finished earlier on Sunday if I hadn't been distracted on Saturday, by cataloguing my stash. Several bloggers have been doing this recently and since I'd already made a projects spreadsheet, and needed to do some general sorting out of yarn anyway, i made an inventory of all of it. It didn't actually take that long, which leads me to believe my stash isn't that big :-D Big enough for 4 sides of a reporters notebook, hmm. I'm currently in the middle of adding it to a spreadsheet. I already have the thing calculating total yardage, and for good measure working out what that is in metres too.

In celebration of finishing Latifa, and because I saw the link to the sale items on Kendra's blog, I ordered enough Rowanspun Aran for a sweater yesterday :-) Today of course I found I could have saved several pounds as McA have the same stuff (drat) but I got mine from Cucumberpatch (shade Hardy, the brightish green). No pattern in mind yet, I might use it as my first self-designed sweater with the able assistance of Ann Budd's book. It's one for the autumn anyway :-)

What else has been occurring this week? I ordered Mason Dixon Knitting from amazon.com (I had a gift certificate to use), and One Skein plus two Neil Gaiman books from amazon.co.uk. Bizarrely the price at amazon.co.uk appears to have rocketed since I placed my order. Looking forward to both books very much.

The TARDIS bag and scarf arrived just in time for my friend's birthday and she seems to like them! It's always a gamble, it seems to me, knitting for people when the item is a surprise, even more so when you haven't had the opportunity to meet in person!

Thanks to the folks who suggested links for buttons last week, the sites are all very interesting: Hazel for Ronda Terry and Debbie Abrahams, and Kendra for Nichols Buttons (amazing couture buttons from the 1940s to 1960s).

It has also been nice to see Harry Potter Knitting getting back on track, with new maintainers. One of the members there is putting together a Quidditch Sweater pattern (both sweater and zipped cardigan) which I am looking forward to immensely.

Now I really ought to finish the jacket, but first I'm going to cast on another Odessa for caps for a Cure, this time in RYC Cashsoft DK. I'm hoping to send both this and the original cotton version off this month.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 9:22 pm, May 15, 2006, Blogger T said...

WOW! It was sooo worth the work, it's just the prettiest thing.

4 sides of a reporters notebook? I don't feel so naughty now as that's a lot more than me ;)

It will be interesting to design your own sweater and the yarn looks lovely. I like cucumberpatch, the yarn comes the day after ordering!

Glad your friend liked her gifts :)

Hmm, those books will be excellent I think. I will definitely be reading some more Neil Gaiman at some point and One Skein is inching closer to the top of my amazon basket :D

 
At 10:43 pm, May 15, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That is just beautiful! You did such a geart job on it! Happy knitting!!

 
At 5:17 am, May 16, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely scarf! If only it was cold enough here ...
Interesting book orders. I've also ordered One Skein this week so we'd better both hope it's good!

 
At 1:15 pm, May 16, 2006, Blogger Seahorse said...

Latifa is fab! Love the pics of your garden below too :)

 
At 1:36 pm, May 16, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

WELL DONE!!!I love the colour combo it's worked out very well...enjoy wearing it!:)

 
At 6:14 pm, May 16, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Latifa looks wonderful, the amount of work in it is phenomenal but it was definitely worth it. You must have the patience of a saint.

I see the stash tidy bug is spreading, it's so much easier to search when it's on a spreadsheet.

 
At 10:22 am, May 17, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Wow!! Latifa looks fantastic!! Such a lot of work, but so worth it in the end.

Oooh, you're getting all organised too! I haven't got quite as far as a spreadsheet yet, but I've been working on my knitting journal this week, and my unused stash is all catalogued in there. It's such a great feeling to get organised, isn't it?

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the books you've ordered, I have heard such a lot about both of them recently.

 
At 12:26 pm, May 17, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Latifa is stunning and so worth all the effort you put into it! WOW!!!

 
At 8:54 pm, May 17, 2006, Blogger annarella said...

WOW, your Latifa is gorgeous!! I love it! I've liked that pattern since I first saw it and you've done a fab job with it. All that hard work on your poor lil hands was definitely worth it! xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home