Saturday, April 08, 2006

Progress & pattern advice

Latifa is almost finished, the garter stitch main body that is. Much cheering to be heard around here! The yarn is lovely but it's 4-ply weight, so each little square is 30 rows, and the scarf will end up around 75 inches I think. The next step will be a gentle hand wash and pinning out to block. At the moment it's quite wavy due in part to the differing thicknesses of the colours. The green SilkeTweed (my favourite colour of the four), is distinctly thinner than the rest. I've seen explanations for this phenomenon on UKHK recently, it's apparently due to different dye colours. What makes it more obvious is that the green is next to the brown, which is the thickest. There are also variations due to my experimenting with different knitting techniques. My tension got tighter when I tried wrapping the yarn with my index finger. In the end I stopped doing this as I couldn't seem to loosen it up enough even with much practice.

I've wound up one of the skeins of Koigu in preparation for the ruffling. Just sitting next to the scarf in my work basket, it lifts the already pretty colours. Can't wait to see how it looks when added to the scarf.

Once Latifa is blocking I think I'll cast on the hooded jacket. This looks like a reasonably quick knit on 6 and 8mm needles. Only two days at work for me next week so I'm looking forward being able to do a fair bit of knitting over the Easter holiday.

I'm also looking at the Picovoli top as a potential pattern for the Rowan Wool Cotton. The sizings go up in steps of 4 inches, and mine falls between them. Would I be OK just working out the number of stitches I need for the in-between size? I live in fear of altering a pattern and finding I have an unworkable number of stitches :-)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:55 pm, April 08, 2006, Blogger T said...

Glad you're nearly at the fun bit of Latifa. It is a shame when the yarn is that variable depending on the colour, hope you can make it so that you're happy with the finished result.

I found a couple of Wool Cotton jumpers in my Rowan mag but I didn't think either of them was for you. What about the one opposite Brigitte that we mentioned? The pink one? I can't remember how much WC you have now ...

I have Picovoli in my list of wants. I'll leave it to someone else to give you the answer to your knitty qu. as I don't feel qualified :)

Have a great holiday, you deserve it :D

 
At 5:57 pm, April 08, 2006, Blogger T said...

Ah, Duchess. Takes more than 8 balls :(

 
At 9:20 am, April 09, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

I don't see a reason why you couldn't change the number of stitches, but before you do, go through the entire pattern and check it would work with your numbers.

Like Cherry says, going down a needle size or even two will make it smaller, but you will have to swatch and calculate.

Give it a go, the owrst that can happen is that you have to frog it.

 
At 6:52 pm, April 10, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

I agree - swatch and then work out how many stitches you need because there's nothing to say that you're going to knit to the exact tension in the pattern anyway. Looking forward to seeing pics of your finished Latifa which sounds lovely. It is a pain about the varying thicknesses of yarn with different colours of dyes. I had the same thing happen with a pair of facecloths in Rowan Handknit cotton in two different colours which also turned out two different sizes!

 
At 6:30 pm, April 11, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Another one in agreement - I would swatch first with the different needle sizes and then work it out from there.

Hope you have a wonderful few days off work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home