Monday, April 24, 2006

Knitting update and SK mini-rant

I finished Branching Out tonight, it's just under 60 inches long unblocked. Hoping to get it pinned out to block tomorrow or Tuesday (tomorrow after work may well be taken up with some gardening duties).

I measured the pieces of the jacket I've completed so far (am currently knitting the second sleeve). To cut a long story short, the back of the jacket is too long. I followed the instructions as printed in the magazine, they are easier to read with the colour-coding etc. I do have a pattern sheet that came with the yarn, so luckily I have something to compare the magazine version to. I've measured according to the instructions, followed the pattern precisely, so why is the back too long? Because Simply Knitting, in transcribing the pattern, missed out a vital piece of clarification / instruction! Length needed to be measured from the cast-on edge, yet the magazine version reads as if it's the length of the stocking stitch section. Very unclear, I'm going to drop an email to them. I guess I could have spotted it earlier if I'd sat and compared the lengths on the schematics with those from the pattern. As it is, I need to frog the back down to the correct length before the armhole decreases. It could have been a lot worse I suppose! Lesson learnt re checking lengths both ways, and trusting too much to SK's editing of patterns :-)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:08 am, April 24, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Gah! I hate unclear patterns.

Can't wait to see your BO.

 
At 2:24 pm, April 24, 2006, Blogger T said...

Stupid SK, seems as if half their patterns have mistakes!

BO is bigger than I thought. Looking forward to it.

 
At 3:39 pm, April 24, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Oh no - how frustrating...

Looking forward to seeing your Branching Out.

 
At 7:55 pm, April 24, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Really looking forward to seeing pics of your Branching Out! It seems that mistakes are rife these days in knitting mags and books. Whatever happened to good proof reading. No great apologies either when mistakes put you to a lot of trouble - just corrections the next month mentioned casually.

 
At 10:28 am, April 25, 2006, Blogger Minnieknits said...

Darn these mags - does no-one proof read properly any more ??
Give me a couple of months as their editor and I'd soon whip them into shape.
Now, wheres some lovely pics of your FO?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home