Saturday, March 18, 2006

The latest steek boa

Here is the latest steek boa, finished today. This is a present for Mother's Day. I like the way this turned out, the colours are quite a dark palette and will tone nicely with my mother's coat! It was also quite a nice way to use up some stash. Approximate yarn quantities as follows:


  • Twilleys Freedom Wool - 2.5 balls
  • Adriafil Baroque - 5 balls
  • Colinette Giotto - just under one 100g skein
  • Patons Whisper - just over one ball
  • Stylecraft DK wool - around half a 100g ball


The Adriafil, Colinette and Patons were all from stash, the other two bought specially. For this boa I used the crochet slip stitch to secure the edge stitches on each side. There is a good picture of this on Hazel's blog, which also shows another great variation in not cutting the loops of yarn. I'd definitely recommend the slip stitch method over backstitching, you don't have to pull vast amounts of yarn through each time to make a stitch! It also looks neater and probably holds better overall.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 5:54 am, March 19, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Oh oh oh! Lovely steek boa! I must make things like this, only what if someone wants to buy one?
And the plu sizes thing? umm, yeah. Plus if you are not a supermodel or American tv/movie star I guess....

 
At 8:12 am, March 19, 2006, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

Love the colours!

 
At 9:19 am, March 19, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

It looks fabulous, I'm sure your Mum will love it. The colours have worked out really well.

 
At 5:40 pm, March 19, 2006, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Thanks everyone :-)

Lynne, if my experience is anything to go by, you could easily sell a steek boa or two. They are so eycatching and people seem to like them a lot.

Once again, kudos to Mary Lou for such a fabulous idea :-)

 
At 11:48 pm, March 19, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful boa!!! The colors are so pretty! The yarn I am using for my Clapotis I got a my LYS, but I know they sell it online somewhere....I will have to do a search for you!

 
At 9:40 am, March 20, 2006, Blogger sal the spider said...

The colours in that boa are really, really gorgeous! :-)
Apparently the new trend among the rich and stupid is to be a size 4. That is smaller than my friend's very skinny 14 yr old. So you size 14's are gargantuan. (tongue firmly in cheek) and me? A mere 24, what the pattern books would describe that as I don't know :-)))))
Sal x

 
At 11:47 am, March 20, 2006, Blogger T said...

Oh, the fluffy goodness! Truly gorgeous.

Why is there not time to knit all I want to?

PS - it's me ;)

 
At 8:46 pm, March 20, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

How lovely! I love the colour combination and it must be soooo cosy, i suspect it will become a firm fave with your mum!...i'm in the middle of making a type of boa (in a similar fashion of the Loopa ....there's a pattern on the Lion Brand site )for eldest sons dearly beloved and she's very into pink ...i'll post a picture when it's finished :) when.....

 
At 6:13 pm, March 22, 2006, Blogger KnitYoga said...

That colour combination you've chosen is awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home