Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Clapotis progress

Almost half way on Clapotis. I'm doing a repeat a day (except for yesterday when I was too tired to knit) on the main section. I love unravelling the drop stitch ladders. It is on the third skein of yarn at the moment. I think you can see the differences between skeins! Not that it matters on something like this, I think.



I don't know how well you can see the stitch markers, all but one are little beaded markers including the "brights" set from Curious Yarns. I find I much prefer using something with a bit of weight and rigidity to it as a marker, as yarn tends to wind itself in with the stitches at the slightest opportunity. I'm also using the 5 free ones that came with Simply Knitting last month. This month's gift, the mini-loopa, I'm still not sure about!

I also checked out the original yarn used on the Clapotis pattern on Knitty, Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb. When I realised it would cost almost 50 pounds to make in that, I reconsidered my idle thought of making another using it :-) I'd definitely like to make another Clapotis though, there are tons of nice DK or aran / light worsted variegated yarns around, some of the other LL yarns look pretty good I must say.

Here's the simple garter stitch hat for Dulaan I finished last Sunday, using this pattern. I think I'll make a pompom for it too, it's years and years since I did one :-)



I have some nice chunky pink yarn to make another of these, they are adult-sized hats.



I'm going to start a knitting "to do" list I think. I keep seeing things I'd like to make but have no overall coherent idea of how many. I'll probably post it up here when I've done it, just to scare myself even more :-) The two Bergere de France pattern books arrived yesterday, I really do like the cover jacket on Designer Knits. Cables are one of the things I'm keen to learn and it's nice to have something to aim at :-)

Not long back from the vet (which is why I'm posting this time of night), we took our gerbil as he has a little lump on his tummy. We were preparing ourselves for the worst but the vet gave us a 7 day course of antibiotics (which go in the water), and we have to keep an eye on him. I do tend to check all the animals every day, visually, as with chinchillas especially you have to be vigilant for signs of infection or teeth problems. Most people probably wouldn't have spotted Xander's litle lump this early! We're keeping our fingers crossed got him, if it does get worse then sadly his age is against him, but for now we are very relieved.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 7:35 pm, March 08, 2006, Blogger Sharon J said...

I love that hat. So simple and yet... well, nice. I'll have to send the pattern to my daughter as she's looking for a project that'll move her on from the scarf stage. ~Sharon

 
At 8:17 pm, March 08, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

I don't think you'll notice the shade change once it's finished. The colours in it are beautiful.

The grey cable cardi is gorgeous. If you write a list it might encourage you to make it.

 
At 10:41 pm, March 08, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

Ahhh i hope your little gerbil gets on ok i know how my boys felt about their little hamsters...
Beck attacked Sams but she survived with lots of TLC, after that she went under the floor boards in his bedroom( don't ask! she ate the edge of the carpet and squeezed under the skirting board),he hadn't properly shut her cage when he put her in at bedtime,she had a brilliant character and seemed quite invincible,i think she was about 5 when she eventually died which i'm told is very good , we never had another one live as long....but she was very special and very tame.
I'd love to see some pictures of your chinchillas,will you post some??
BTW good luck with the gorgeous cable cardigan....that one looks very interesting.....
LOL i told you once you got to the drop stitch phase the Clapotis becomes very entertaining :0)

 
At 7:08 am, March 09, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

The hat looks great!! I love the color of your clapotis! The yarn is great! I actually got mine started and am almost through the second section!

 
At 10:07 pm, March 12, 2006, Blogger tgirl147 said...

Clapotis looks good enough to eat! I too have drooled over the front pic on the Bergere book but have no idea where you buy and double open end zip (suggestions anyone?). Just thought I'd drop you a line on your Rogue quantities query. One bag (10 balls) of Janette's Jaeger Shetland Aran is more than enough to do a Rogue - they are 100gram balls and there is 182 yards on each ball – even for the largest Rogue size (a whopping 45" chest) you only need 1650 yards. So enough for a hat too!!! Seriously this yarn is to die for, super soft and "lofty". What a bargain price!!! Buy some now! Happy Knitting, and apologies for not helping if you, like me, have "stash issues". ;-)

 
At 7:20 pm, March 14, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Clapotis is looking fabulous!

Hope Xander is doing much better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home