Tuesday, February 28, 2006

'Simply Knitting' jacket and other ramblings


The latest edition of 'Simply Knitting' arrived yesterday, and I decided I rather liked the jacket shown on the cover. During a "quiet spell" this afternoon at work I did some research into the yarns and costs. The yarns used are Bergere de France which I have admired for some time, their yarns always look great. The jacket uses "Toison" and "Canaries". Now Canaries is only available in five shades, in fact to see them properly go here.

Much as I like the bright green combination, I decided it might be a bit much for a jacket :-) Cucumber Patch have a 10%-off offer on the yarn, in the colourways shown in the magazine. In fact you get the printed pattern as well, as it is being sold as a kit. I confess I caved in and ordered one - if I'd waited around they would probably sell out, as CP sell the yarn cheaper overall than the only other UK online supplier I could find (Angel Yarns). Plus the fact I did have some Paypal balance hanging around too. Feeble excuses, but at least I've bought yarn for a specific project LOL!

I'm also considering getting the BdF Designer Knits pattern book from Angel Yarns. They have some stylish designs there, I like the openwork cardi and v-neck cable fitted sweater.

We also went yarn shopping tonight for some materials for another steek boa, this one for my mother for Mother's Day. I'm going with a purple-ish theme for this one, so I'll be using:

- Twilleys Freedom Wool (chunky) in a variegated purples and greens shade
- Stylecraft 100% wool DK in deep purple
- Adriafil Baroque (fancy mohair with tufts) in pale greens and pinks shade *STASH*
- Colinette Giotto tape yarn in "Raphael" a purply mix shade *STASH*

As you can see 50% of this scarf will be sourced from my stash, yay :-)

DH, bless him, is very good at picking out colours of yarns, and guess what he went for as a potential purple yarn - Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk :-) We didn't go down that route I'm afraid!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:29 pm, February 28, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

I really like the jacket, but some of those yarns are way too 'in your face' for such a large item. The brown shades are nice though.

The yarns for your Mum's boa sound lovely.

 
At 12:28 am, March 01, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

You jammy dodger! That yarn looks to die for.....and the boa sounds gorgeous too....i'll have to try one of those as soon as i can get some yarns sorted out :)

 
At 10:24 am, March 01, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Oooh, some of those patterns look nice! The jacket looks rather warm :-)
I knitted a hat last night and did a three needle bindoff on the seams - it was going to be a scarf but I ran out of yarn rather more quickly than expected, so I just folded it over and made it into a hat instead. LOL

 
At 12:00 am, March 02, 2006, Blogger Sharon J said...

The jacket looks for cosy but I've promised myself (and my other half) that no more yarn is coming into the house before I've used up at least half of what I already have. He can't get into his clothes drawers as it is without having to move bags of yarn first! ~Sharon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home