Monday, February 06, 2006

Quick update

Thanks for the lovely comments on the boa :-) i wore it to work today, it's lovely and warm. I'm never sure if anyone will even notice a "new" knitted item, however today one of my team-mates ended up trying it on, she loved it! If I had enough time I'd certainly be able to sell another one to her! Then when I was putting on my coat to go home one of the blokes noticed the boa, he said his sister would love something like that, and seemed really impressed when told that I made it (he thought I'd bought it). Sadly I can't afford to go part time at work, at the moment anyway, or else I'd be setting up a teenytiny cottage industry :-D I forgot to mention the size of the boa yesterday, it ended up at approx. 54 inches. This was the point that the Jaeger Grace ran out again, and the mohair was just about to.

I cast on for a hat last night, this will either be a chemo cap or a hat for Dulaan. It all depends on how it turns out, as I'm using Sirdar Snowflake for the first time. It seems very soft and warm but I don't want to make a chemo cap that might be a bit too "bobbly". What I can say is that it's a royal pain to cast on with! Especially on a 12" circular needle :-) One day soon I'll pluck up the courage to use some DPNs, mine having only been used for i-cord so far. I reckon I'll use them on the later decreases on this hat. I'm using a simple roll-brimmed hat pattern (all stockinette).

I'm also on the lookout for suitable yarns for chemo caps, I'm thinking Rowan Calmer, Debbie Bliss Cathay or similar, and a super-soft DK baby yarn in acrylic. If anyone has any yarn suggestions (must be available in the UK) I'd be glad to hear them.

Erin, thanks for the comments regarding a shawl. You're quite right that a rectangular shape stole / shawl would be best. I've done a little more searching and have seen one or two promising patterns so far.

In non-knitting news, it looks like the dryer component of our washer/dryer has given up the ghost. I put some towels in last night, switched it off and opened the door this morning, then got them out tonight after work - and they were still very damp. Uh-oh. Put them in again and came back to check, no heat, and a strange plastic/electric smell. This one has lasted 6 years or so which isn't too bad. The dryer went on the last one too. The washing machine part has also done a few odd things of late too. We don't really have space for an indoor separate dryer more's the pity. Ah well, such is life :-)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:02 pm, February 07, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

It's always nice when people compliment your stuff.

James C Brett make some really soft acrylic in DK. I've seen it priced from £1 - £2 for 100g.

 
At 10:53 am, February 09, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

The boa worked out really well!
Now I am looking at Fyberspates. Ack. Bad bad me. Lovley yarn you got! It's great to be able to get some different stuff.
You do the knitting for our cottage industry, I'll dye yarn and fleece and spin stuff! :-)

 
At 4:17 am, February 10, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Any yarn that is very soft and light weight is good for chemo caps! I have one made out of Rowan all seasons cotton that is very soft and I am making one out of Debbie Bliss alpaca silk I am sure what ever you choose will be wonderful!!

 
At 10:03 am, February 10, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Wonderful to hear all about the compliments for your boa! It's always such a great feeling when others appreciate your work - especially non-knitters.

Ugggh, bad news on the washer-dryer. We have a washer-dryer too - I only use the dryer part in the winter as I like to peg out as soon as the first sign of spring comes, and keep going until the first signs of really dark nights, so I'm hoping ours will last out. There - I've invoked the "breakdown" gremlins now!

 
At 3:06 pm, February 13, 2006, Blogger Maureen said...

RYC Cashsoft yarns are really soft and not too extortionate. I made Grumperina's hat pattern from the latest Magknits using one ball of the Cashsoft DK and still had a bit leftover. It's lush!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home