Sunday, February 12, 2006

Knitting progress

No pictures I'm afraid, but I've certainly made some progress on Latifa yesterday and today :-) It's looking a bit wavy on the sides at the moment, due partly to the thinner green yarn, and partly to my changing my knitting style. The wrapping of the yarn using my right index finger is improving in leaps and bounds. I guess this is still "throwing" the yarn, but doing so in a way that seems to have some beneficial effects:

- my arms and neck feel better for it
- the knitted fabric looks more even
- the above probably being due to keeping a more even tension, because I'm not letting go of the right hand needle

I did try knitting a row or so the "old" way last night and found I didn't like reverting to it! So far I'm only doing this with knit stitches, as Latifa is garter stitch, but I thought it best to start simple and see how I go. If it means I don't end up at the physio with a "knitting related injury" then that's a major bonus :-D Last year I ended up there because of my posture at the computer, affecting my neck and also my arm and hand, so I'm keen to avoid a repeat!

Feeling somewhat better in myself today, thanks Hazel and Big Bird! I even cleaned out the cupboard on the landing, which used to be the immersion heater cupboard, now used for storage mainly for pet supplies. It was starting to resemble a stable with all the bits of hay on the floor! I then spent a few hours with my knitting, in front of the telly, watching "Charmed".

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:50 pm, February 12, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

I'm really glad to hear you're feeling better in yourself.

I am very interested to read your experiences on how you are changing your knitting style, especially to hear about the improvement in your arms and neck. My right hand and arm is killing me today after too much sock knitting, so I think I am going to have to rethink how I knit. Doesn't help that I have to sit at a computer all day at work, either. Please keep us informed as to how you continue to get along with your new style.

I'm next off work on Thursday, so I shall pop that yarn in to the post for you then!

 
At 11:15 pm, February 12, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad to hear that you like you new knitting style! I hope that you continue to feel better!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

 
At 12:11 am, February 13, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

It sounds like your new knitting style is really making a difference.

 
At 6:38 pm, February 13, 2006, Blogger Minnieknits said...

I must try and change my knitting style if only to increase speed - thankfully I'm a tough old bird who doesn't get a lot of aches and pains (even when I worked, the worst I got was dry elbows from leaning on my desk gossiping - oops I mean working!!)
BTW - I am desperate to go to Woolfest to the point where I would walk if I had too! lol!

 
At 11:30 am, February 14, 2006, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Congratulations! You are now a "real" knitter! Not taking your hand off the needle makes it so much faster to get places, once you are used to it.
Haven't been keeping up well recently - too many things to do! Must send a proper email, if the Husband doesn't suck up all my time with his PhD woes....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home