Thursday, February 02, 2006

Fyberspates

If you hop over to Fyberspates there are now sale yarns being added. Due to a near-total lack of pressing things to do at work today (we're waiting on another area to sort out a thorny technical issue as to why one server isn't talking to another one - not nicely anyway), I ended up there and bought a skein of laceweight yarn. It says it's enough to make a shawl. Since I've never bought laceweight before, or made a shawl, I figured why not :-) I think 4.99 for a shawl is amazing value. I also bought a copy of the fingerless gloves pattern, for which I have other yarn that would be perfect.

The boa is now almost 3 feet long. I finished the ball of Jaeger Grace first so knitted in a second ball. About 4 or 5 inches later the Adriafil ran out. I guesstimate around 50 inches when they will run out again. I have plenty more of both so might end up using a bit over the estimated 2 balls. I estimated on given yardage based on the pattern specifying around 120m of each.

More practice tonight too on yarn-holding with Latifa. I can't really do it on the boa with 10mm needles and 4 threads of yarn to control! I managed 10 rows in a reasonable time. Still slower than throwing the yarn but I've had years doing that :-) One of the hardest things is not knitting too tight, again that is improving. I peered at the green section that has been done with the new technique, and compared it with the section below. The green somehow looks neater, but I'll hold judgement until I've gone back into the brown and beyond. I've noticed that the green appears to be the thinnest yarn of the 4 shades. Never worked out why this happens, why some colours in the same range are thicker or thinner. The brown is the thickest I think. Not much in it but I'm noticing it all the same.

Hazel, I sent you a reply to your email, hope it arrives OK!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:35 am, February 03, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

That sounds absolutely bargainous for your shawl.

I find the same thing with thickness in one type. Baffles me too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home