Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"Fuzzy" yarn duly acquired

Yes yes, this is supposed to be a stashbusting scarf - but the lack of fuzzy yarn did trouble me, and lo did I visit the LYS after work today. Sadly they don't stock Rowan there (the mention of which seemed to engender a slight look of horror from the woman in the shop!). What I did find was some King Cole "Luxury Mohair" in a kind of rainbow effect but with pink as the slightly more dominant colour. It's perfect for the boa and has replaced the multi-pinks yarn. It was 3.79 for a 50g ball (about 100m) so I got 2 to be on the safe side. Also picked up some cute little pink flower-shaped buttons for Ariadne. And some new point protectors, as my old (15 year old at least) ones contrived to fall off my circs if you looked at them the wrong way!

I did take a picture of progress but it came out rather blurred, so I'll try again tomorrow. Probably did almost a foot of the boa tonight. The yarns look really lovely together. I'm tempted to try a hat with the same mix afterwards.

As regards "book" yarn-holding as opposed to throwing, I'll keep you posted on progress. Acrylik, I thought I was truly the only knitter who could possibly work the yarn this way, interesting to hear you do exactly the same! I'm hoping it will make me a faster knitter eventually. It's probably also rather more ergonomic. I tend to suffer from a stiff neck on the right hand side after a lot of knitting, and since I'm right-handed I wondered if the two were connected, and the throwing was making it worse. I saw a physio about this last year, before I started knitting a lot, and it was due to poor posture at the computer. She gave me some useful basic stretches for my neck which I try to do quite often.

Hazel, thanks for the link, and how dare they be out of stock of the calendar! I love your new icon, that has to be Nellie from Noah and Nellie? Ah, to have a bizarre encyclopaedic knowledge of 1970s and 80s childrens programmes :-)

Rain, I think we may have to join the end of a very large queue for Mr Laurie :-D

Anyone else catch the new series of CSI tonight? And explain why they had so many ruddy ad breaks?! Still the opening shot of the team was tres cool. Interesting little arc developing with Grissom going after the suspected accomplice to poor Nick's temporary entombment. ("visit Knitty In Pink" for extremely potted CSI episode synopses!"). Also enjoyed "Ghost Towns" with the lovely Mr Derek.

If I don't catch up with everyone's blog tonight I apologise, I'm catching up with some emails and bits and bobs elsewhere too. We've been slightly topsy turvy with DH going off to work today and then a phone call tonight from his sister, saying their car had set on fire last night outside the house. No-one harmed, they think it is maybe one of a spate of car arson attacks unfortunately.

Off to take a peek at as many sites as I can now!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:36 am, February 01, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I can not wait to see your boa! The pattern looks like fun! Happy Knitting!

 
At 8:50 am, February 01, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

I knew you'd cave and buy something new. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

That site is..well..quite frightening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home