Saturday, January 28, 2006

A blast from the past

Around 15 years ago, give or take! This is the first sweater I ever made. It's in cotton yarn, unfortunately I chucked out the original pattern sheet a while ago and can't remember the brand. I seem to recall it was Danish. Check out the intarsia :-)



I did wear this quite a bit in the early 90s. You can see the lower ribbing is somewhat stretched - cotton isn't that elastic! I also got better at the intarsia as I went along, the lower blue section is a bit shaky. I still have a wee pile of plastic bobbins as good as new after all this time. The poor old white yarn is starting to go yellow in places, I guess as a factor of age. Still I couldn't throw this out :-)

After this one I made another less complex intarsia sweater in heathered wool-mix, in muted pinks/oranges with some gold and grey. I don't have that any more, as when I'd finished it was slightly too snug!

Since then I haven't knitted any kind of sweater, knitting petered out until the past year or so when I've "rediscovered" it. This brings me on to the "Enjoy The Process" KAL for the Winter Olympics. I was musing as to what to make earlier on. I printed out Clapotis, Mrs Beeton, and Cold-Weather Corset from Knitty. The latter bears quite a resemblance to Ariadne, the ruffled corset top in Colinette's Muse book. Suddenly I have my item - I'll be starting Ariadne :-) I already have both yarn and pattern (Lasso in shade Jamboree). Really looking forward to it. I also have added the CW-Corset to my future projects list (in fact all 3 are on there).

Cracking on apace with the current hat. I like the way Ann Budd's book gives you all the instructions for knitting in the round, then helpfully shows you how to knit it flat and seam, should you so wish. I'm knitting on circs as I love having no seams :-)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:34 am, January 29, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

Wow, that's an impressive first sweater. I didn't try intarsia for years. You'd never guess it was an early attempt at it

*Grin* - I still have my first too, an oversized purple cabled affair that I couldn't part with either.

 
At 7:06 pm, January 29, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That is awesome for a first project! I still haven't made a sweater! Let alone the color work! What an amazing job!!

 
At 1:34 pm, January 30, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Wow, what a fantastic first sweater! Mine was just a plain black v-neck thing I made in my early teens to wear to school - took me about 9 months if I remember rightly! I still have it though somewhere...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home