Sunday, January 29, 2006

Attack of the giant hat

Oh dear - I finished the current hat last night, tried it on (I'd tried it part way through as well, and it seemed OK), and found it was HUGE! Even DH found it went down over his eyes :-) If he turns the ribbed border up he can wear it though. Looks like he has got a hat quite by accident.

Can't quite work out what I did wrong, the gauge is OK when measured, I think I just miscalculated the number of stitches I'd need. It could also be something to do with the elasticity or otherwise of the acrylic (not at all elastic). I think I may switch to a wholly ribbed pattern when I try again. I'm going to leave it for a few days while I do some work on Latifa. When I'm knitting hats I tend to obsess over them and want to finish them, to the detriment of any other projects! Which has reminded me of the bag waiting to be sewn up and embroidered/duplicate stitched (nothing fancy). Argh.

Anyone else going to Woolfest this summer? We missed out last year due to it clashing with our annual holiday. This year we will most likely just be starting 2 weeks or so of annual leave with no set plans, so hopefully we will make it up to Cumbria. Not too far for us to travel either which is handy.

Thanks to everyone who commented on both the intarsia sweater and the chinchillas :-) Interestingly, those chinchilla owners who also have cats, tend to report that far from the cat terrorising the chins, it's the other way around! I've seen many accounts of chinchillas having a fantastic time chasing cats :-)

As I've been typing I've been watching the last moments of an eBay auction for some Fyberspates yarn. Happy to say I just won it, at an excellent price! Might be just the thing for Clapotis.

Looking forward to watching a bit of telly tonight whilst knitting. I've managed to catch some but not all of the live "Derek Acorah's Ghost Towns" on Friday and Saturday nights, tonight is the last one. They are in York which as you can imagine has a rich history, one of our favourite places to visit as it happens. There is also a new series of "Ghost Towns" starting on Tuesday night. Guess what this clashes with - the new series of CSI on Channel 5. Thank goodness for Living TV +1! I don't have many programmes I actually make time to watch but I don't want to miss either of these. We have also been enjoying "Life On Mars" on Monday nights, which is quite an affectionate tribute to "The Sweeney".

Also managed to catch the double episode of CSI directed by Quentin Tarantino last night, "Grave Danger". Gripping stuff, excellent to watch but there were moments where you were fully aware Tarantino had a hand in it :-) Not sure I'd want him doing CSI on a regular basis but interesting all the same :-)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:59 am, January 30, 2006, Blogger Rain said...

I hate it when things go wrong, but at least the hubby can wear it.

I tend to knit in front of the tv too, it's CSI, House, Lost and Grey's Anatomy that do it for me. I'm really enjoying Life On Mars and Hotel Babylon too. It's about time the Beeb put something good out. And who can resist a bit of Judge John Deed?

The +1 channels are pure genius and solve many a dispute.

 
At 1:38 pm, January 30, 2006, Blogger acrylik said...

Yes, I shall be going over to Woolfest - didn't make it last year as it clashed with something else - but I have it in my diary for this year! I shall just pop over for it one day - it's only an hour or two over the Pennines for me. Better start saving up now really - and it will be PotFest at Penrith not long after, which I always go to!

 
At 8:19 pm, January 30, 2006, Blogger dottyspots said...

I noticed your complaint about DROPS - I could ask my mum to maybe translate 'key phrases' - she might not have the time, but I could always ask :) (she's Norwegian).

It might help in translating the other patterns (I'm afraid my Norwegian is not fantastic, otherwise I'd do it myself - although I might be able to translate, might have a look when I've got a min and see, but not holding out too much hope!).

Anyway, let me know if you want me to ask my Mum (if there's anything you're desperate to knit on there)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home