A finished Hufflepuff scarf at Potter-film minus 4 days!
I finished the knitting on the K1P1 rib Hufflepuff scarf on Sunday evening. On Saturday night, I had completed 13 sets of trapped bars and was a few rows into the next yellow field. I decided to try the scarf on and found it was already long enough, going past my knees when draped around my neck. Good news indeed, I cast off on Sunday and added the fringing later on Sunday night. Lurking in my knitting bag was a Hufflepuff Quidditch patch, originally intended for a Quidditch sweater. We decided it looked pretty good on the scarf so last night I stitched it on. It managed to shuffle itself slightly off centre even though I pinned it on, but the pins were slipping around and were fairly useless (I suspect because of the cashmere content - I had similar problems when weaving in ends).
Here are the photos I took this afternoon, thanks to being off work with what feels like a very minor attack of flu! It looks like I have finally ended up with a reaction to the jab after having nothing more than a few sneezes in previous years!
- Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in 505 (egg yellow) MC and 300 (black) CC
- 5mm needles
- 69 stitches cast on in 1x1 rib giving approx. 8.75 inches wide
- yarn used - approx. 800 yards of MC and approx. 140 yards CC
- row counts in pattern: 27 MC, 3 CC, 5 MC, 3 CC, 27 MC etc.
- this follows the row counts and proportions as given in the PoA scarf pattern at atypically.net (obviously the main difference is this is knit flat in rib as opposed to in the round with stockinette)
- fringing pieces were 8 inches long, final fringe length is approx. 3 inches after trimming
I didn't really mind knitting ribbing itself, and I've certainly speeded up with all the practice :-) The thing I don't like about this is the edges and the colour transitions. I slipped the first stitch from rows 3 to 25 of each of the main colour blocks, but not on any of the other areas (I did do this at first but soon realised it was causing too much yarn carryover effect). Overall the edges look OK but the yarn carry is more noticeable. This could probably be avoided by using a more sophisticated join on the yarns, but I was a little wary of attempting, say, felted joins on this. I'll certainly try them on future projects though. If I can fix these problems I'd probably do another 1x1 rib scarf, they do take a while but the end result seems to be worth it :-)