Sunday, September 18, 2005

Huffle scarf and tassel-jig

Firstly, here is progress so far on the 1x1 rib Hufflepuff scarf (PoA/GoF style). I cast on 69 stitches which has translated to around 8.75 inches wide. The yarn is aran (worsted) weight, Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, shade 505 egg yellow, and shade 300 black.

Apologies for the picture, the light went quite suddenly today and the yellow looks paler than it actually is:



I'm not a huge fan of the colour transitions in this style, compared to knitting in the round. It seems to easily become a wee bit untidy at the edges. I'm slipping the first stitch of every row, apart from colour change rows. It's probably also more noticeable with this weight of yarn compared to DK. I did toy with doing a Gryff scarf in this style, using DK, but will do one in the round in stockinette instead :-) Overall I think this is turning out reasonably well, the yarn itself is so lovely that you can forgive the misbehaviour at the edges :-D

After doing the tassels on the Gryff scarf, using a DVD case to wind the yarn, I figured I needed a tassel jig. If you've ever watched "The New Yorkie Workshop" you will have seen Norm make his own custom jigs for various woodworking tasks. My idea was, have a wooden jig that allows various lengths of tassel to be wound, and won't bend like cardboard. My lovely DH went out to the garage and came back in with this, based upon my sketch:



It supports 3 inch through to 9 inch tassels :-) He has also put a label on that says "from the New Yorkie Workshop" - he's from Yorkshire and likes woodworking :-)

Other progress - another wedge of stockinette on the secret baggie, and started a chunky-yarn scarf for charity (more on that soon).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home