Sunday, August 21, 2005

More yarn acquisition

Part of my order from Get Knitted arrived the other day. I needed a good yellow for making a Hufflepuff scarf (PoA style) and hopefully a Quidditch sweater in the fullness of time. You would not believe how hard it is to find (a) yellow shades in any yarn, and (b) the *right* shade of yellow.

I was originally looking at Jaeger Baby Merino DK and also Matchmaker which is exactly the same yarn but in different shades. I almost went for their Gold but felt it was probably a little too dark (I think the shade pics on the site there are a bit lighter than the actual yarn).

I ended up at Get Knitted and Debbie Bliss yarns. Originally I'd thought to use DK for the next scarf too, but beggars can't be choosers, and the choice of yellows (and also availability of solid black) lead me to the Cashmerino aran (aka worsted weight to the US). I got Egg Yellow (shade 505) and black (shade 300). The yellow is slightly darker than the shade card photo implies, it's like a pale honeyed gold. This is the most beautiful commercial yarn I have added to my stash so far. It is sooo soft. I'm probably very spoilt now when it comes to choosing yarn for future projects :-)

I'd also like to try out Artesano Alpaca one day. I would have ordered this but for the fact they didn't have a dark enough black - rather more charcoal/dark grey than black.

Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran shade 505 (55% merino wool, 33% microfibre, 12% cashmere):



And on an unrelated note, a photo of some of the Noro Kureyon from ebay, shade 157 in rusts, purples, greens and tans:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home